KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used them through winter or cold wet days.heard there crap and no good for winter riding.any feed back appreciated (normal mix of riding not track gods) cheers as I'm not keen on finding out the hard way :confused:

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you're on about the OE fitted tyres on your SMT then yes,they are crap when cold/damp.Don't inspire confidence at all.. Most people on here think the same and quite a few of the longer term road tests have said the same and have reported a better feel to the bike after the tyres have been changed to something else. Personally I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Road 2's., for a good compromise between grip and longevity. They're not cheap though!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Conti's are very vague - they've never let go, but then I daren't push them hard enough.

2CT's get rave reviews - but I'm a Bridgestone man so BT016's it'll be, the lads who've splashed out on them rate them more than the Michi's. I guess it's down to personal preference, I find Michelin tip me in too fast for my liking.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agree with the comments here, the conti's on my SMT are crap when cold and/or wet, just can't justify chucking them before they've had a bit more use. I'll be going with Bridgestone BT023's as the mag reviews seem to be favourable.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Be interested to hear what you think of the BT023's. Not heard many owners reviews on them yet as they haven't been out that long. Magazine reviews can be a bit biased. If anything is flavour of the month ,magazines will give it good reviews. A few months down the line they're slagging it off.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The Maxxis Supermaxx Sports work really well on the big KTM's, and are quite cheap. Try Matt at TyresRUs/Eastleigh MX, He doesnt keep them but can get them next day. Or Crescent Southampton keep them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Maxxis Supermaxx Sports work really well on the big KTM's, and are quite cheap. Try Matt at TyresRUs/Eastleigh MX, He doesnt keep them but can get them next day. Or Crescent Southampton keep them.
I use Maxxis Supermax Sports on my 950....Really impressed, even in winter with their `sports` tread pattern.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm on diablo's and think they handle great , not really had real wet experience with them tho .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some pilot pures fitted by coxy (matt) as I have pilot power 2ct on my 950sm and better to stick to wot I know. thanks for all opinions, will report on them later

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Michelin power pure or pilot pure or wot ever are really confidence inspiring,make the bike handle much better deffo recommend them.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Avon PXR front, Distanzia rear - can't be beat - trust me :smokin:

(Distanzia's look horrible but they're fucking good ;))

·
Registered
73 Posts
there's always one.......
i've got conti road attacks on my 950 and still get the pegs down.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
They work well once they're heated up, it's just that they're shit until that happens and if it's cold and/or wet that takes fookin' ages.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They work well once they're heated up, it's just that they're shit until that happens and if it's cold and/or wet that takes fookin' ages.
I concur.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there's always one.......
i've got conti road attacks on my 950 and still get the pegs down.....
the road attacks are different to sport attacks I think?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have to agree with the others - the Conti (sport attacks) are fine when up to temp (you can get your pegs down and I'm no riding god) but they do take a long while to warm up (and longer still when it's cold and wet) and are vague until they are up to temp.

Currently, I running the new Dunlop Sportsmarts - early impressions (600 miles), they seem much quicker up to temp and inspire more confidence, earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Conti Sport Attack 2

I read in Bike recently that the 2010 successor, the Conti Sport Attack 2, warm up quicker than the Bridgestone BTs and the Dunlop SportSmart or RoadSmart. Once up to temp, not much to tell them apart other than durability.

Anyone tried these yet or read any contrary reviews?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ride all year so wanted something that is good all the time.Apreciate your comments though

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm prepared to listen if anyone has first hand knowledge of these new Conti Sport Attack 2's? I can't even find them in any dealers yet.

Otherwise it's gonna be BT-016's - though probably wait for the spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts