KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had coolant loss that’s not been due to the water pump seals?
My coolant level has been half full in the header tank for a while. I’ve topped it up a few times but it always returns to half full with no noticeable leak.
Yesterday I topped it up, took it out and stopped after 10 miles. Coolant was dripping out of the front of the lower fairing and the level was down to half full.
I carried on for 100miles but keeping an eye on the level and it didn’t drop any more. When I got back it was still half full and I cannot see where its coming from. No sign of the water pump problem, oil is clean, radiator is clean. No air when bleeding the heads.
I need to refill and check again but does anyone have any suggestions where the leak is likely to be?

·
Registered
149 Posts
check the clip on the bottom of the rad mines done that a few times worth changing the clip for a stainless 1

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
What bike is it??

Could be fooked radcap...causing it to overheat n dump coolant out of the overflow pipe

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine leaked from the hose that goes from the Rad Cap to the bottom of the expansion tank........ Replaced the hose with some proper coolant hose and the rad cap just to be sure, and all was well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine was leaking from the rad cap , not the top of the header tank you can see inside the fairing, but the actual screw down cap on the top of the radiator, just tightened it up by hand and it's all been good since then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I only have a chance to look last weekend.
I Filled it up and when up to temp at idle it was obvious that the rad cap was not tight and leaking. A small amount of steam and a slight trickle of coolant that made it halfway down the rad before it evaporated. I guess if I was riding it would have lost more. Since I've tightened the cap and bled it a hasn't lost a drop. :)

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Nice one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts