KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's it going?

Following a bit of investigation as to whether the water-pump shaft and seal needed replacing, the bike appears to be losing a bit of coolant.

There was no evidence of water contamination in the oil, so the shaft and seal were not disturbed although the engine casing with it in was removed for inspection. The gasket on the casing was intact, and it's for oil anyway and not water.

Putting it all back together there's no evidence of any leaks from the pipe-work or around the water-pump cover, but the level of coolant in the expansion tank is gradually falling - any ideas?

It did fall initially, which I put down to being a bit of air working its way out of the system, but it's still going down :frown:

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Have you checked your paper oil filter?

You may not see evidence (in the form of emulsion) in your oil, but that doesnt mean its not leaking. The paper oil filter is the true canary in the coal mine.

I had a slow leak on my bike (but was masked by fault rad cap, so coolant level in the reservoir wasnt changing). Just before a long trip, I pulled the paper filter to put the stainless - just in case I had a WP seal failure. As I removed the paper filter, I noticed barely-perceptible waves in the pleats. At the time I filed away a mental note that even a healthy paper filter can have slight waves. However, 2 days later, I realised my radiator was very low on coolant. :eek:. There was no evidence whatsoever of any emulsion in side the clutch cover - or anywhere. Whatever water had been leaking had been cooking off.
Chatting with a KTM mechanic in Toulouse as I did my water pump seal change on the footpath , he told me they had a similar case with a superduke. Losing coolant - but no evidence of any emulsion. They ended up sending the oil to Austria for analysis and it came back positive with traces of coolant. Water pump seal was changed, and the superduke stopped losing coolant.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice explenation there Mooky...mine too has been losing coolant more than it used to, so water pump seal will be getting changed soon on mine too! Someone kind of answered that for me on my thread yesterday about "what goes wrong & when". Water pump seal was one of those things I should be looking at on my 18k milkes bike.
After the nice ride I had on it today in the pissing rain I really don't mind these little querks/maint issues....so long as it is just the seal:).

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know about the crinkly filter, and this one wasn't crinkly in the slightest. And it wasn't losing coolant before the inspection - I'm hoping I've not managed to damage something in the process, although it's not difficult to take apart and goes back together pretty easily too.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
And it wasn't losing coolant before the inspection - I'm hoping I've not managed to damage something in the process, although it's not difficult to take apart and goes back together pretty easily too.
Ah. I hadnt clocked it was an issue post-intervention...

·
Registered
18 Posts
coolant loss

I have the same problem with my 2004 950.
KTM have had the bike for three days. They have checked everything; the oil filter, water pump, head gasket and for external leeking. Everything is spot on.
The engineer then test rode it. All ok.
They filled the coolant to the min level, before I picked up the bike yesterday. I rode it for an hour and the level has dropped again in the coolant tank.
Where is it going?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have you checked the Radiator cap?
You can get a build up of gunk on the rubber gasket which causes the level to drop slowly.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rad. cap's spotless on this one too.

·
Registered
729 Posts
@ Gordo: I've seemed to have stopped dropping coolant now, haven't lost any in days. She's running loverly, but I'm gunna re-check tonight- last time I did the oil looked good as new.

BTW Morocco is awesome! We rode 70 miles down the Atlas mountains last night....in the dark!!!! Foooook me! Roads?? "where we're goin we don't need roads"... & I have managed to find some puddles an go thro em at crazy speed- suitably dirty bike :)

currently in Ourzazete & have some wifi!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hey Craig - good to hear you are still alive!

Where you staying? If your at bikershome with Peter - say Hi from us! (The one who fixed the waterpump on his floor and smoked out the kitchen with the engine block in the oven!)

Stay safe

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ Gordo: I've seemed to have stopped dropping coolant now, haven't lost any in days. She's running loverly, but I'm gunna re-check tonight- last time I did the oil looked good as new.
I'm very very pleased to hear it. As I said in the text, I was starting to worry that I'd done something daft / not done something obvious and it was going to spoil the trip.

BTW Morocco is awesome! We rode 70 miles down the Atlas mountains last night....in the dark!!!! Foooook me! Roads?? "where we're goin we don't need roads"... & I have managed to find some puddles an go thro em at crazy speed- suitably dirty bike :)

currently in Ourzazete & have some wifi!
Riding at night in Morocco?!? :eek:

Just be careful of the parasites that live in the rivers over there - wading or swimming isn't recommended unless you want to bring home a souvenir.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What has any of this got to do with loosing coolant?
It hasn't really, except it was Seiko's bike I was referring to originally - and it seems to be OK now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts