KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2020 350excf and I’m trying to fit a “plug in and play”cooling fan kit. Everything has been simple until I came to locating the relay plug, supposedly in the air box. I can only see one spare plug, a square pattern, small pin plug. Not the larger pin relay type plug, is this the correct plug or is there another somewhere? I also can’t see the mounting point for the relay. Had anyone fitted a kit to a 2020 bike?
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hello & welcome

Not sure if it any help to you, but I had fan installed on my 2017 450 EXC, by the dealer from new and it has 2 relays in the air box. The GF's 2017 350 Six Days (fan installed from factory) also has 2 relays in the air box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the spare plug for the relay, it wasn’t inside the air box as stated on the instruction’s KTM link. It is the spare mounted above the battery under the seat. Not seen the fan come on yet, so not sure if it is working, ride it through the woods and then left it idling for a while but didn’t come on. I need to root out my laser temp gauge and see what temperature it is
Thanks for your help👍

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
If you pull the connection to the temperature sensor and short the 2 pins together the fan should come on. The bike will need to be running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys I had the same issue but it’s all connected now and the fan refuses to turn on? I’ve had the bike that hot the over flow is steaming so I would have thought the fan should have come on by now? Any ideas? This was the genuine fan the same as what’s on the six days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve not got mine to run either, but as it’s winter I’m not too concerned yet. Where is the temperature switch located? I’ve not found it. Otherwise I’ll have to do some kind of override to get it working. Or do I have to buy a sensor as well? I bought the bike second hand and my local dealer refused to give me any technical information 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need power to the realy, then the wire for the temp to relay then to temp switch. When the temp switch closes its activates the relay which powers fans. Simples.
I was thinking you just use the existing connection in the wiring loom, guess I’ll have to see if there is a live feed where the relay plugs into the loom.
anyone know where the temp sensor is located?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I was thinking you just use the existing connection in the wiring loom, guess I’ll have to see if there is a live feed where the relay plugs into the loom.
anyone know where the temp sensor is located?
Always used to be at the bottom of the RH rad but on these new bikes with injection it might use the same coolant temp sensor that is used by the ECU. This would normally be in the head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If its a varible temp sensor you'll need the corresponding sender relay switch, normal relay will only work with on/off temp switch.
Yes there was a relay switch that came with the fan, which plugs into the loom above the air box

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just fitted one on my 20 350. Plug and play, no problems! Was a bit worried after reading this but works a treat - tested in the garage!
Relay plug in under the seat, just remove the blank as you’ve found. The only thing I found was the fan wiring block on the bike was minging with dirt, had to use cotton buds plus wd40 and a small screwdriver to clean it out!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just fitted one on my 20 350. Plug and play, no problems! Was a bit worried after reading this but works a treat - tested in the garage!
Relay plug in under the seat, just remove the blank as you’ve found. The only thing I found was the fan wiring block on the bike was minging with dirt, had to use cotton buds plus wd40 and a small screwdriver to clean it out!!
Ive noticed a few of the comments mentioning the relay is under the seat? On my 17 350 , I was under the impression the relay was in the air box as that’s the only place I found to have a spare one. Did you have to run yours for a long time for the fan to engage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Later models are under the seat, earlier ones in the air box. Ran for under ten minutes I’d say, glad I’ve put it on!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts