KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the sparks plugs on a 2009 RC8 are the same for the front and rear cylinder ?

I’ve read somewhere that they should be different. I’ve ordered some from KTM and they are identical.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the sparks plugs on a 2009 RC8 are the same for the front and rear cylinder ?

I’ve read somewhere that they should be different. I’ve ordered some from KTM and they are identical.
Well where ever you read that.......I would make sure you do not go anywhere near that site/publisher again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Should both be LKAR9BI-9 NGK iridium. The -9 means they're factory gapped to 0.9mm, don't rely on that being correct on delivery, confirm it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should both be LKAR9BI-9 NGK iridium. The -9 means they're factory gapped to 0.9mm, don't rely on that being correct on delivery, confirm it.
Yeah that’s what’s arrived. I’ve checked the old spark plugs and they are 0.9. I can’t quite fit a 0.9 feeler gauge in the new ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think they’re iridium though. Neither the new ones or the old ones say anywhere if they are.
I thought the Iridium ones were for the
RC8-R and not the RC8 ?

·
Registered
31 Posts

I've got a 2009 R model and the plugs are the same for both cylinders. AFAIK, that's the same for all models.

probably what you read was referring to was the later 'twin-spark' head which appeared on the R model from 2011>

each cylinder head has a second, smaller spark plug, offset to the side, in addition to the central main plug. But even still, AFAIK the plugs are the same for front and rear cylinders

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a 2009 R model and the plugs are the same for both cylinders. AFAIK, that's the same for all models.

probably what you read was referring to was the later 'twin-spark' head which appeared on the R model from 2011>

each cylinder head has a second, smaller spark plug, offset to the side, in addition to the central main plug. But even still, AFAIK the plugs are the same for front and rear cylinders
Thanks. Just wanted to check I wasn’t missing something. 👍🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts