KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My KTM Freeride rear wheel has corroded up inside really badly! Quite shocked actually but it's a few years old.

Just asking for advice how to fix this up best. I've been wondering about going tubeless but there must be an issue with the rim lock being sealed when it's so badly corroded.

I see some people just squirt silicon around all of the spoke nuts. Not sure that much corrosion, even if cleaned up, would suit Tubeliss.

I'm assuming the rim will take a tubeless tire without any problem.

Any advice welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes new rim, from my experience the corrosion will have crept under what looks like good ally but it will flake off and puncture what ever you put in there.
Is it a DID rim? I've had a few go like that, although much older than yours must be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you or a PO been using washing-up liquid to help change tyres?
It has salts in it that rot ally.
Always take the rim tape off when fitting a new tyre and take a look at what's going on underneath it.

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
I thought that the salt content in washing up liquid was an urban myth?.

IME, using a copper wire brush to clean up between tyre changes and using gaffa as rim tape helps a lot.

I used to use red rubber grease on tubes to prevent pinch flats, but got fed up with mess. But i still slather r.r.g around valve stem and top of rim lock to stop threads/nuts rusting. This also forms a bit of a seal at these points. Rim is never wet when l change a tyre.

·
Registered
236 Posts
salt content in washing up liquid was an urban myth?.

It may be, but just about every vehicle manual tells you not to use it to wash the vehicle.

I use car shampoo, as a) it's in the garage, and b} it's more slippery than washing-up liquid and c) it's got waxes in it which should at least slow corrosion.

Salts are an ingredient of at least some brands, it says.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
salt content in washing up liquid was an urban myth?.

It may be, but just about every vehicle manual tells you not to use it to wash the vehicle.
That's because it's a degreaser. It strips paint of protection. Wax, polish, etc.
Good on windscreens and wipers though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like a new rim imo.
The problem is the wheel/tire always has some water in it and never dries out. I’ve cleaned up a few over the years but always spray ACF50 on the inside of the rim and let it dry before reassembly ,seems to work quite well then just use a rim tape.
If you can keep the water out then all the better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really can't remember whether I've used washing up liquid. It's possible. Might explain it. We've done a fair few streams where the wheel has been under water and pressure washing probably doesn't help either with water getting in there.

Pic 1 is after 30 secs of wire brushing, I should've said. Pic 2 nothing.

I'll clean it up and see how it looks after. Bit of Hammerite maybe

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’m not sure if hamerite would be ideal as it may not adhere without some etch primer, also could trap water in around where spokes go through the rim. ACF50 is designed to eradicate corrosion in aluminium it’s used on aircraft wings etc. And gets in every where by capillary attraction.. I’m sure there’s other stuff that would do the same job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not sure if hamerite would be ideal as it may not adhere without some etch primer, also could trap water in around where spokes go through the rim. ACF50 is designed to eradicate corrosion in aluminium it’s used on aircraft wings etc. And gets in every where by capillary attraction.. I’m sure there’s other stuff that would do the same job.
Good thought. Got loads of it! Just didn't realise it was going on. :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts