KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Had a major service inc. valve clearances the other week and since I got it back the fueling doesn't seem as good. I've got Akro cans and I've heard about the stuttering in 2nd/3rd gear (never really noticed before hand) but it keeps missing, maybe 3-4 times in 1 hour and in any gear at low-mid revs - any ideas? I've also heard that the front plug cap is a bitch to get back on properly and when it's raining it can cause a misfire but I don't ride in the wet :cool:

2. As some of you may know I dropped it on some oil going round a roundabout a couple of months back - gutted! - and part of the damage was writing off my carbon clutch cover - did its job tho, phew. I've bought some replacements from PRO-CARBON which were about 50% cheaper than KTM ones, but I'm wondering what is the best stuff to glue them on with? The one that came off had what looks like clear silicone but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
1. I had a hesitation at round 3/4 revs on mine when i first got it. It was improved once i had a full akro system but it was still there despite my local dealer telling me it wasnt (they had richened the mixture so it was less apparent) the only way IMHO you will get it properly sorted once and for all is to take it to a dyno, where they will run it and adjust accordingly and balance the carbs. Its a £100 - £150 quid well spent. I also had one of my plugs not seated properly (the rear cylinder) which meant when i gave it beans and there was a lot of vibration it was unseating itself and causing bad running.

2. no idea lol

saying all this mine has recently started to run with occasional misfires (on tickover), just doesnt feel as smooth as it used to, so im wondering if my carbs are out of balance again.

had a thought. if its only running bad since its come back you could check everything around the airbox is seated correctly, no pipes not connected etc. maybe they left something off

·
Registered
214 Posts
1) If it's mis firing that's not a fuelling issue but ignition, if it is a new problem since the service then take it back.

2) Use RTV silicone, this will easily withstand the temperature. Careful how much you use around the edge of the cover though, it will ooze out and make a real mess!

Cheers,

Con

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys think I'll take it back this weekend to double check for anything obvious.

what's RTV silicone?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Room temperature vulcanizing silicone rubber. Also known as bathroom sealant. Use a 'low modulus' type if you can get it to make fitting easier. B&Q will do...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't put to much on as if you need to take it off ,you,ll break the carbon cover, the mastic is strong stuff !!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said they were within tolerance and didn't need shims so it shouldn't be any different from that point of view if he hasn't touched them? My Dad spotted the right akro end can was leaking exhaust gases where it's bolted to the down pipe, the bolts were really loose which I think is due to the crash I had - would this have caused the misfire? I've tightened them up, the leak is now gone and it sounds much better on tickover and revving a bit ;o) so I'll test it when it stops f'ing raining!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts