KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 1290 gen2.

Had wheels in for painting and the painter found this. Anyone else had it?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That looks more like a casting defect than a stress crack.
I'd be tempted just to fill it and paint over it as that part of the thread isn't holding anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks more like a casting defect than a stress crack.
I'd be tempted just to fill it and paint over it as that part of the thread isn't holding anything.
Cheers. I was thinking that as the thread isn't compromised and the disc should push it back in slightly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The dealer should replace the wheel, l would be surprised if they don't honour the warranty claim on that.

·
Premium Member
7,914 Posts
That section is basically acting as a spacer as its before the threaded part. I would carefully cut it along the top and resin it back in place (assuming crack is continuous.

If road salt gets in there it could end up corroding and expanding.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, KTM have rejected the claim as the wheel has been worked.

I've escalated with KTM claiming negligence by the delaler as I asked them to check the cause of wheel rub on my 1st service. They didn't check and told me they all do that sir story.
All documented on the service sheet.

Hoping they just send me a new wheel!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Should have bought a BMW. Their customer service is out of this world, and they build the bikes properly in the first place.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Talk to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards. Sounds like they are saying the paint held the wheel together.

It's like sending them a cheque, they open the envelope and try to cash the cheque and it bounces. And you say, "Sorry, you opened the envelope, if you didn't do that, the cheque wouldn't of bounced".

Fuck it, go to town, start a revolution.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you could be arsed then get an engineers report which will no doubt say it is a casting defect that was covered up with paint, especially if the top surface is still equal to the others and thus hasn't moved to cause the crack.

Firstly let them know that is your next course of action if they refuse to offer you a new wheel, and that once you've gone down that route you'll be seeking full compensation for all costs.

If they still say no then I'd get the report and send them a copy along with the a copy of the engineers invoice, then ask them for the money and to supply a new wheel.
If they say no again then small claims court for the invoice fee and the cost of a new wheel or talk to trading standards to see what other options are open to you.

Winters is almost here so I'd do it as I could live without the bike until next year, or (if the engineers report supports our view) I might buy a new wheel now and then you'll have 2 invoices which they need to settle and that is easier to do in small claims court.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
you'll get a new wheel from KTM in the end

1 - 20 of 33 Posts