KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'll take that bet. He'll defo get one or the cost of one if he's determined enough. How much is a new wheel, 500 sheets? Not worth the hassle or a court judgement to KTM.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I’ll be interested to see KTM’s take on the situation, because i’d Imagine the deal hinges on who stripped the bike, particularly as it was still under warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just to close out, KTM UK refused and bottom line in, I just don't have the energy and time to pursue. Once warranty period is over, I'm leaving KTM unless it's a sub 5k bike that I'm happy to work on

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Frankly i’d Have been gobsmacked if KTM had replaced the wheel, the rules of the game are simple....you buy a new bike you get a manufacturers warranty backed up via a dealer, you need something doing too the bike you take it in and PAY.

The moment folks want to go ‘Off Script’ and things go wrong ‘Wasn’t my fault Guv’ if KTM had coughed up for a new wheel, every man and his dog would have been on the bandwagon.

I’d bet good money if you had taken the bike too the dealer to have the wheels taken out and the bearings knocked out and they had found the crack in the wheel ...KTM would have supplied another.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just to close out, KTM UK refused and bottom line in, I just don't have the energy and time to pursue. Once warranty period is over, I'm leaving KTM unless it's a sub 5k bike that I'm happy to work on
How much did we say we were betting @Set? ;)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
KTM.... it’s been stripped by an untrained mechanic and you want us to replace the wheel which has been broken.....harrass them enough he might get £100 quid off a new wheel, and he certainly won’t do it again, it’s called a learning process in life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2019 1290 gen2.

Had wheels in for painting and the painter found this. Anyone else had it? View attachment 35322
To me it looks like removing a tough bolt tore the casting apart on that thread. Either it was removed with a hammer or it is a genuine defect. Being a new owner of a KTM Superduke I have noticed KTM are not as generous with warranty claims like BMW are. I get the impression it would take a lot of effort to get most things replaced if they replace anything at all. My stock exhaust has gray liquid that weaps out of one of the rivets on the side which can be seen. Dealer said “they can do that sir” with no offer to replace. Not confidence inspiring! I’ve also noticed my Superduke marking very easily compared to the longevity Ive had from all my BMWs. BMW are definitely better in that regard but I must admit I like my new Superduke GT, more fun.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It was always gonna be tricky as the warranty had effectively been broken, I would expect most manufacturers would take the same line.
That's why you'd need to be committed, and get an engineers report. If that report sided with you then they are screwed as you can use the sale of goods act to beat them with.

It all takes time and effort though (and money)... but I'd probably do it anyway... out of spite..:devilish:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
To me it looks like removing a tough bolt tore the casting apart on that thread. Either it was removed with a hammer or it is a genuine defect.
It looks to me more like a casting defect.. but it would be easy to check and prove.

If the top face is still inline with all the others, hence the disk will run true, then it was a manufacturing defect that was either deemed acceptable or not noticed.
If that face is raised then it likely has been damaged when the disk was removed and thus when reassembled the disk will not run true anymore.

I think that in the picture you can see the top is where it should be so an engineers report should result in a favourable outcome. I think from there it would be a simple process to make KTM pay up... but there is always a degree of risk when making use of our legal system.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts