KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone send their crank off to be balanced?

cheers

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Reactions: Miner and tools

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
it’ll never catch on

Reactions: Enduro Rider

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will the balancer shaft need reworking also?

cheers

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Reactions: tools

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do a lot of dynamic balancing - mostly aerospace rotors running at <350,000 rpm where the rotors material grain structure has an affect. These are balanced down to G0.4 where as normal crank shafts are G40 which is the same as car wheels - so not much difference than static balancing.

I would say that most crank shafts are balanced on very basic automated machines but due to the relatively low speed would normally be enough.

Ive not considered doing bike or car engines commercially as I had not thought there would be much call for "proper" dynamic balancing and also I'm not clear how much effect pistons and con rods have. Pistons seem easy, they can be weighed and made to match but there will still be an issue of mass x differential from centre line and from what I have seen weighing conrods seems like a load of bollocks - I might well be wrong but balancing is all about weight distribution relative to rotating around a fixed centre line.

If anyone wants their crank shaft or camshaft balanced I'd be more than happy to do it and like wise if anyone can enlighten me about conrods and pistons I could do them aswell.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sorry, should have taken a bit more notice - conrod and piston would not be an issue on a single cylinder.

I still don't see the weighing conrod thing as the mass centre is constantly changing around an elliptical path

1 - 9 of 9 Posts