KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i got a ktm 300 exc 2005 and took it for a quick blast up the road the other night and the lights are CRAP and when i hit the brakes there was nothing at all. anyone else had the same problem. i heard it could be the rear light but not tried diconecting that as yet.
cheer MADDANE

·
Registered
256 Posts
Get a high power stator kit from Trailtech, i also put there halogen light on and it was a million times better

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
If the lights go out when you press the brake you probably have a short from the green/white wire to brown wire (earth).

Earth on KTM is brown wire. The loom is earthed on the coil, no where else.

If you fit an LED rear bulb onto the KTM rear loom and a 35/35W halogen bulb you get the brightest lights. But the 05 to 07 headlamp lens is very poor. No amount of light will shine a good pattern.

The clear lensed 00 to 04 headlight was best, 08 onwards better than 05/07.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok
i changed the rear light unit and cleaned and checked the plugs and wires and still not brilliant but a bit better.
i read sumwhere about taking the reg/rec off and seeing if the lights get brighter and they bit but then blew the bulb.\so could it be the reg/rec that is knackered.
cheers MADDANE

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Sounds like the regulator is playing up.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
80011034000 voltage regulator 04 £45.36

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok
took it out tonight with new regulator off ebay for £12
and a new 55w halogen bulb from china for £4
and lights are 10 times better. can see where im going now.
looks like i will be doing more night riding now.
thanks for the help.
MADDANE

·
Registered
591 Posts
Could anyone recommend the best Halogen bulb to use for a 2009 EXC stroker?

The guy in the my local KTM shop told me not to use a Halogen as it'll get too hot and start melting the inside of the light.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
none ktm headlamps are shite i stick an mtb helmet light to the peak of my lid ten times brighter its called exposure diablo 200 quid worth every penny halogen bulbs n ktm lights don't mix the lens will melt ;-(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts