KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ne1 know ne thing about customs charges for importing a helmet from the US, no import charges apply when inside the EU, i know there are import charges from outside the EU just not sure where i stand when it comes to safety equipment??? ne1 done this b4 or have any info?????

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
To be honest mate, it's all a bit of a lottery....I've had some stuff from the States and been charged nothing but other items have had an import duty added to the retail price.

Luck of the draw. Just work out whether the price you bought it for + the possibility of tax is a price you'd still be willing to pay.

Good luck fella

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt do enough research before i bought i guess, waiting on a helmet just found out it`s awaiting customs payment, i`m waiting on a call back to see if i can do ne thing about the charges, little bit annoyed with myself as if i have to pay the charges it wont work out much cheaper than buyyin from hear plus i`d of had it nearly 3 weeks ago from hear :frown:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It all depends on how polite/affable/freindly you are with your postman...

I'm always personable with our village postie,
and he's always forgetfull when unpaid charges are indicated
on delivered items ;):D

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
you might have too pay vat as well.......but make sure that the valuation is correct as when things are shipped from US they can put an inflated value on it for insurance purposes and this is the amount customs and vat peeps go on.............things need to be sent as a gift

·
Registered
341 Posts
also parcelfarce put there handling charge on it as well if it goes through customs.

Also putting gift on the package is actually counted as fraud and the seller and buyer can be prosecuted for this statement on the package

I have imported alot of stuff from the US when i was racing pitbikes and sometimes you get away with import fees and sometimes you get hit with fees i imported in $2000 USD of engine parts that were worth £3000 in the UK and all i paid was 60 quid import charges so sometimes you get away with away with a small fee.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
friendly posty is no good as i got letter from parcelforce they wont send it untill i pay them, it`s cost me just short of £30, mite be able to claim some of it back depending on what certificates come with the new lid!!!
all told i saved about £40 if i get nothin back, hardly seems woth the hastle n 3week wait!!!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
not worth the wait.... I once ordered some bike lights, by the time they got here it was spring and i didnt need them anymore. frustrating, always easier if you know someone who can buy for you and post as a personal item/gift.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No VAT on crash helmets, but Royal mail will still try to sting you for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts