KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most I was getting a little fed-up with the 'drumming on me helmet' :eek: from the carefully designed aerodynamics of the Adventure .......... so i obtained a spare screen and cut it down.

I'll post a pic later tonight ......... but basically I took about 2 inches off the top and some off the sides to neaten it up.

Actually looks quite well - from a distance :D (I never could cut straight :wanker: )

First ride today - used the bike for gettin to work which is a good mix of roads including a motorway stretch.

The 'drummin on me helmet' has gone ......... to be replaced by a fookin cold wind battering me from the chest up. 60mph upwards was ....... well ....... fookin windy and I ended up leaning forward :rolleyes:

But the annoying drumming is gone and when I get used to the extra wind it just might be good.

T'other thing I noticed ......... with the D908's front and rear the bike wasn't very stable at speed. Usually anything over 80 was ..... err ..... interesting and I never could tell which way the bike was gonna weave next :eek: Well this morning - 107 on the clock and straight and true .......... what the fook is that all about then? This kindda says the screen/aerodynamics was making the bike unstable on nobbly tyres :confused:

Anyway ......... the windblast was killin me so I soon slowed down ....... but what a weird set of affairs. This takes me back to my 1300 Pan European (yes I was that sad) which was about as stable as a jelly at anything above 90mph, but messing with the screen sorted it out.

Aerodynamics are a strange thing ........ and so is the Adventure :D

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
How do earplugs stop your eyes from wobbling :confused:

Shep it looks like mine but mine is another couple of inches shorter, I couldn't ride with the standad one, it was horrible. I love the low one though :) I blew it a bit though with the cutting down because my gps wont fit behind it so I'm looking for another screen to cut down a bit less.. BTW can you take a pic of how your GPS mount is attached to the bike? I've got a Touratec mount off ebay but need to attach it to the dash somehow.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i take it you've read the humungous "windscreen disgust" thread on advrider about this with about 50 different solutions depending on your height weight etc:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do earplugs stop your eyes from wobbling :confused:
BTW can you take a pic of how your GPS mount is attached to the bike? I've got a Touratec mount off ebay but need to attach it to the dash somehow.
my thoughts exactly on the ear plugs. The noise never really bothered me - I'm pretty deaf anyway ....... it was the vibration on 'me elmet' that was the problem.

The shortened screen stops this - but as I discovered this morning, when looking over ones shoulder at 90mph with an Arai TourX helment on - the winds takes ones foookin head off :eek: Must be the peak :rolleyes:

SatNav mount - I can't take any photo's until tonight ......... but I use the official KTM mount that goes through the 'dash' to the dash subframe.

I'll take some pics later. Mind you - if you search the forum you'll find threads like this
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/38550-mounting-zumo-990-adv.html

Pete

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Stanbloke has cut his screen. I like the look better cut down.
It also means less chance of slicing your nose off on the taller screen if you end up going over the bars!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
With Off Road tires like that you are bound to get wobbles at speed on tarmac , each one of those little rubber squares compresses and then flexes back into the wheel and creates a wobble and general feeling of the bike being unstable

but then again they are not designed to be compressed I am sure if you fit some road tires your problem will be solved

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With Off Road tires like that you are bound to get wobbles at speed on tarmac , each one of those little rubber squares compresses and then flexes back into the wheel and creates a wobble and general feeling of the bike being unstable

but then again they are not designed to be compressed I am sure if you fit some road tires your problem will be solved
I realise this - I ride on these tyres all year round and actually like the fact that they restrict the speeds - it's a licence saver :D

I was just VERY surprised the screen affected the stability of the bike as much as it did.

Pete
PS I won't be fitting road tyres ......... it's a flamin adventure! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was just VERY surprised the screen affected the stability of the bike as much as it did. :D
IMHO the taller the screen, the less stable the front seems to be at speed. The front screen on the adventure is quite vertical and it pushes a lot of air at speed. By reducing the front surface area, you've allowed the front end loading to be a lot more constant and less suceptible to the effects of air speed.

I notice that when I go from touring screen to standard, the bike feels so much lighter and quicker steering.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
my thoughts exactly on the ear plugs. The noise never really bothered me - I'm pretty deaf anyway ....... it was the vibration on 'me elmet' that was the problem.

The shortened screen stops this - but as I discovered this morning, when looking over ones shoulder at 90mph with an Arai TourX helment on - the winds takes ones foookin head off :eek: Must be the peak :rolleyes:

SatNav mount - I can't take any photo's until tonight ......... but I use the official KTM mount that goes through the 'dash' to the dash subframe.

I'll take some pics later. Mind you - if you search the forum you'll find threads like this
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/38550-mounting-zumo-990-adv.html

Pete
Cheers Pete, excellent thread there, this seems to be the part I need then.

60112092150.jpg

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Licence savers..................107mph ??
did I say mph? :eek: I obviously meant kph officer . . . . . . . ;)

Until I cut the screen I'd never have reached that speed ......... I was only trying it out and wouldn't normally go that fast in a 30 zone :D:burnout:

·
Registered
440 Posts
did I say mph? :eek: I obviously meant kph officer . . . . . . . ;)

Until I cut the screen I'd never have reached that speed ......... I was only trying it out and wouldn't normally go that fast in a 30 zone :D:burnout:

I read it that you were doing it off-road.;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I find the Adventure fine with a normal helmet on - very little turbulence. But if I wear my Tour-X then it's then a problem. I think the aerodynamics of the Adv screen means it doesn't like peaks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts