KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ktm 250 exc, 2011.

About 2 months ago my bike cut out, had no spark etc etc. turned out it was the stator so changed that and all was well... Until yesterday that is.
Bike cuts out randomly in 3rd gear, bogged like it ran out of petrol then died. (Had plenty of petrol in there) Kicked it back up and away it went, 20 minutes later done the same thing and would not start so changed the plug and after a few kicks it started but would not idle. When i let it go to idle speed it kept trying to cut out. When it did cut out there was nothing after that, wouldn't start and now have no spark again. My mate said that a few minutes before it happened he noticed the front light flickering and looked like it was dying.

So I got it home and checked stator with a meter and all readings were spot on so im assuming thats fine, when i changed it last i also changed the coil, ht lead and spark plug cap.

I'm thinking towards an earth fault? I checked fuses by the battery and they were fine, checked the earth on the battery and the coil and they were both good. I pulled the black and yellow cables connection behind the front light which im under the impression is the kill switch and still no spark.

Any ideas guys? Havent had much luck with this bike since buying it I have to be honest.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
check the wiring behind the headlamp as it can rub on the frame and cause shorts etc, i got some heavy duty clear tape (helicopter tape) and put it in the headtube

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
could it be a fault with the kill switch ? heard of that before

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Plug cap?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the wiring behind the headlamp as it can rub on the frame and cause shorts etc, i got some heavy duty clear tape (helicopter tape) and put it in the headtube
I had a look at all the wiring I couldn't see any cables that the insulation had broke and the conductors showing. I'll double check though.

could it be a fault with the kill switch ? heard of that before
I tried this, if you undo the connector that the black and yellow striped cables go to this bypasses the kill switch. Still no spark.

Plug cap?
Not this either =/.

·
Premium Member
31,565 Posts
Are you sure there is no spark? Sounds like tank breather blocked.

Replace that ally bling valve with a simple length of hose

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Defintely no spark, i dont have an alley valve dude i got the standard black hose that clips onto the frame. As you can see in the pic if thats what you mean.

·
Premium Member
31,565 Posts
Fork decals are upside down, that wont be helping ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
check your reed valve, i had a 2011 that did what you describe and it was the reeds.The bottom petal vibrates against the crankcase and damages it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
sounds electricial and you've changed everything apart from the loom. Perhaps its worth getting the bike running then separate cable connectors to see which ones stop the bike and then check those cables for resistance having a rough idea what your readings should be. Also, and i'm no expert i'm assuming the CDI is sweet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fork decals are upside down, that wont be helping ;)
Lol noticed that soon as I bought the bike, got new ones here just cant be arsed to fit them.

check your reed valve, i had a 2011 that did what you describe and it was the reeds.The bottom petal vibrates against the crankcase and damages it.
My mate said exactly the same funnily enough. I recently changed the carbon cell's of the reeds so I'll check them too.

sounds electricial and you've changed everything apart from the loom. Perhaps its worth getting the bike running then separate cable connectors to see which ones stop the bike and then check those cables for resistance having a rough idea what your readings should be. Also, and i'm no expert i'm assuming the CDI is sweet.
Just borrowed my mates CDI off his bike so I'll try that on there. I got a feeling it may be that. I'll be sorting the loom properly when its working though make sure no wires are damaged or anything.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out it was the CDI, tried my mates one off his 300 and it kicked up first kick. Tried mine again and nothing, double checked and tried mine on his and again nothing. So time to get a new one. Ill try and get hold of a 300 one if i can.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Alright mate, I've got the same problem on my Beta 250rr which is essentially a 250exc in red with dodgy wiring from the factory. I think my cdi might have blown as well, do you know if the ktm one is a direct fit? Cheers.

·
Registered
825 Posts
And I would be really surprised if Beta & KTM’s shared CDI units until I saw this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
4 banger Beta's of this era used the KTM RFS engines, so that would make perfect sense. A mate of mine had a 450, and from what he said it was extremely rare in the UK, but he sourced loads of shared parts from all the other enduro bike manufactures and kept it going. The main issue was getting plastics for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts