KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Really could do with getting the forks done on my 19 tpi. Thinking of the spheres as I could take them with me on next bike.
Did consider the xp1 kit but reading all the previous posts there seems to be mixed reviews.
I ride a mixture of lanes but always struggle on rocky hill climbs. The deflection is horrible pinging from side to side like a ping pong ball.
Any advise on the spheres would be appreciated and on what mods you done with the shock to complement the forks.
Regards

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, if all you're doing is Laning then don't bother. I'm sure you can get them adequate with the right springs and some clicks.
Thanks for the reply.
I already have the bike sprung for my weight with the correct springs, my sag settings are fine.
I have exhausted the clicker settings to no avail.
The compression clickers make little difference. I want the suspension improved for rocky hill climbs not for your average lanes.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I already have the bike sprung for my weight with the correct springs, my sag settings are fine.
The compression clickers make little difference. I want the suspension improved for rocky hill climbs not for your average lanes.
You sure it's the forks that are the problem? Could be the shock. Could be your technique. Seems like spending a grand just to do rocky climbs is a bit excessive. I mean, they might not be perfect for racing but surely they are good enough for that? I've ridden my mates 19 which is completely undersprung for my weight but they were actually much better than I expected.

(Or do you just fancy some Gucci forks?? Fair enough if you do. I'd get coneys if I could afford them).

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
If you have the cash then why not. Sphere will need some set up with oil level and bladder pressure but the valving is very good. Your shock like Al says is highly likely to not help. High speed comp benefits from being eased off and a bladder kit helps loads.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Do the stock forks still feel hard/harsh on high speed and square edges? That’s why I was looking into mine... got it well dialled in with the right springs, just that initial hit was the issue... hard/deflect then blow through the stroke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the cash then why not. Sphere will need some set up with oil level and bladder pressure but the valving is very good. Your shock like Al says is highly likely to not help. High speed comp benefits from being eased off and a bladder kit helps loads.
Hi pindie
I'm 95 kilos kitted. What weight is the stock valving good for.
I believe the inserts come in with a bit too much pressure. If I go with the ds I was thinking of a revalve and bladder on the shock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the stock forks still feel hard/harsh on high speed and square edges? That’s why I was looking into mine... got it well dialled in with the right springs, just that initial hit was the issue... hard/deflect then blow through the stroke.
The forks feel ok on normal lanes but on rocky lanes......massive deflection.
Compared to the showa forks on my last bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can your include spring rate, sag settings and clicker positions as this may help with the diagnosis.

If you do have a sweet spot with your settings, you may want to add oil to the forks, say 5 of 10cc at a time, as this may reduce the fork deflection without the expense of a bladder. You could also try a heavier weight oil if your compression clickers are rear to their maximum.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
I reckon they’d be about right for you. They seem to suit a wide range of people on stock valving as you still have bladder pressure, springs and oil all to adjust as well. I’m lighter than you and ended up with a minor HSC mod to lighten the first touch to remove deflection, I then increased bladder pressure to give back some accuracy. It seemed to work well. Moving them into other bikes is also an excellent feature so the cost gets less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reckon they’d be about right for you. They seem to suit a wide range of people on stock valving as you still have bladder pressure, springs and oil all to adjust as well. I’m lighter than you and ended up with a minor HSC mod to lighten the first touch to remove deflection, I then increased bladder pressure to give back some accuracy. It seemed to work well. Moving them into other bikes is also an excellent feature so the cost gets less.
Did you revalve the shock also with the bladder kit.
I was originally going to revalve the forks for my weight but I too think having inserts that you can take with you can save money long term.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I have the full sphere and bladder conversion on my ’19 TPI, it is night and day better, like riding on air. Pricey yes but easily one of the best mods I’ve done. Doesn’t make me a better rider but makes riding a lot more enjoyable. I also have a well set up pair of CC forks which also work well for a lot less money, I would stick with the Sphere given my experience. Don’t bother with the XP1 kit, if anything go for the Ray kit or KTech ORVS. Where are you based?.

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi
I'm pretty sure I will go for the spheres.
Who done your bladder kit?
I'm in Warwickshire but we ride all over the country. We done 10 days last year in the I.O.M and have booked again for next year.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The forks feel ok on normal lanes but on rocky lanes......massive deflection.
Compared to the showa forks on my last bike.
Same thing then... I was going to do what Pindie did and get the forks re-worked for less HSC to take out that deflection... what I found was that when I first got the bike it was like a trials bike. First ride was along the beach, Mrs took the dogs and I went lugging along the hard/stony/stone ridges part of the coast line. After years on an angry old 200/2 set up for H&H it was a revelation.

Put rear spring it it and ordered the corresponding fork springs, rear spring rate amplified how soft the front felt. When I put the front springs in it never quite felt right, always messing with it but then figured out it was the HSC in the stack. Went though another round of setup changes, got it ok but that deflection was always there. I’m about same weight as you, maybe another 5-7kg kitted and watered.

It can be done with the measures described above, the stock forks can be worked to remove it and make them feel plusher.

For me... I going to revalve and got in touch with a couple of guys, reached out to Gary Reynders (Gaz66) who did my CBR600 revalve with K-tech internals front and back (Showa/Ohlins combo). He said it was all to do with the stack setup and could be managed. I also got it touch with one of the local boys who worked for one of the tour companies and raced in the local desert racing series, to see what Gary had done for his forks. Long story short, he was able to get a set of cone valve forks and Trax shock, then got Gary to service them and adjust the preload on the cone valve to suit what he wanted to do. They were no longer used and I got them for the price of a front and rear revalve. You won’t be able to pick them up for that kind of money though... one of the anomalies of living here.

Spending a couple of hundred quid on suspension setup is the best money you can throw at any bike.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I put xp-1 kit in my '18 Husky and it was night and day better, my mate still runs them, used them to great effect at the Welsh 2 days. I then ran AER forks revealed for enduro and a bladder kit, they were the best kit I ever had, I've retired now and same mate bought them off me. I'd try them first. Unused a guy in Kent and he seems to know what he was doing

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
The BIG question is have you checked the fork oil level? On one of my KTM's I tried for months to get the suspension dialed - I couldn't get it to work (forks) and the second issue was to the balance of the bike and the rear settings deviated well away from the manual settings too. In the end I wound all the compression off the fork and it was still shit, so was going to junk the whole thing. I then checked the oil level and it was too high, so I set it to min level and the settings for both end of the bikes all came good and in-line with the manual (+/- a few click here and there)..,.it was very surprising and an eye opener. For my next few KTM's one of the usual first jobs I'd do (in addition to greasing rear sus, headset, tightening spoke, loctiting etc) was to check and set the oil level to min.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The BIG question is have you checked the fork oil level? On one of my KTM's I tried for months to get the suspension dialed - I couldn't get it to work (forks) and the second issue was to the balance of the bike and the rear settings deviated well away from the manual settings too. In the end I wound all the compression off the fork and it was still shit, so was going to junk the whole thing. I then checked the oil level and it was too high, so I set it to min level and the settings for both end of the bikes all came good and in-line with the manual (+/- a few click here and there)..,.it was very surprising and an eye opener. For my next few KTM's one of the usual first jobs I'd do (in addition to greasing rear sus, headset, tightening spoke, loctiting etc) was to check and set the oil level to min.
Hi,
Yes I checked the fork oil when i Changed the springs. I measured what came out and it was pretty much bang on.
I haven't played about with different oil volumes as i can't imagine going either way would make much of a difference to be honest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts