KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on Facebook from a local biker who was being prosecuted for overtaking on a solid white line . The footage /evidence had come from A car driver who had sent it to the police .
the police are actively encouraging thus kind of vigilante stuff .
i Wonder where it leaves you if you decide to fight it , say the car driver moved to let you past as they do then pushed you out , or suddenly braked or indicated to turn etc .
Facebook removed the post and any discussion about it .
so be warned for a start , it’s getting silly out there

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
"I overtook because what you dont see in the video is the hand gestures the driver seemed to be directing me. No idea why, but he seemed furious about something. I'm not interested in getting wrapped up in road rage as I'm vulnerble on a motorbike, so I thought it safer to get past and put some distance between us"

Just need to come up with a mitigating circumstance that warrants the behavior.
I got pulled for overtaking in the outside lane on the M6 in a articulated truck about 20 years ago
My defence was the car in the middle lane was a lane hogger, doing 50mph and technically he could have kept all trucks at that speed for the next 60 miles.
Police called me several weeks later and dropped the case.
There was a car doing 50, but it was more a case that I was in a hurry to get back up north.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im so wary of dashcammers now, dont try my luck on Amber just incase it goes to red before i cross the line and some ass wipe behind me reports me with his video evidence.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Denouncing your fellow citizens to the authorities for petty rule breaking is just another tiny step toward total obedience and deference.
Depending on the actual footage, I'd fight it.

Does this tinfoil hat match my face mask? ;)o_O

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
People are cunts, the police are cunts. I was done by the police for something caught on dash cam. To this day I have no idea what I did because they wouldn't tell me.

You don't have much chance fighting it. If they offer you a driver re-education course? If so, take it. If not, suck it up but expect 6 points and a fucking enormous fine.

People just love the thought of being all high and mighty over others for the smallest fucking thing.

I have gone and got a dash cam now but won't be reporting anyone for anything that isn't actually dangerous at the time it happened. I've got one because the standard of driving has plummeted since Coronavirus for some reason.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People are cunts, the police are cunts. I was done by the police for something caught on dash cam. To this day I have no idea what I did because they wouldn't tell me.

You don't have much chance fighting it. If they offer you a driver re-education course? If so, take it. If not, suck it up but expect 6 points and a fucking enormous fine.

People just love the thought of being all high and mighty over others for the smallest fucking thing.

I have gone and got a dash cam now but won't be reporting anyone for anything that isn't actually dangerous at the time it happened. I've got one because the standard of driving has plummeted since Coronavirus for some reason.
How the fuck can they do you without telling you what your offence was , that like Cold War Russia

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
orange , wtf did you just capitulate for ?? as a point of law you have to be informed of the offence you are being prosecuted for ! if you were not told you should have seen a solicitor not just folded !!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
How the fuck can they do you without telling you what your offence was , that like Cold War Russia
They do tell you the offence you're being charged with - for dashcam stuff it's pretty much always "Driving without due care and attention" which sounds fairly minor but carries 6 points (at least) and a massive fine.

what were you done for?
Driving without due care and attention - but they refused to tell me what it was about my driving that lead to the complaint/offence. They phoned me up and said:

"You were involved in an incident on blah blah blah and we're giving you the choice of going to court or on a driver re-education course"

I said "Was I? what incident? What did I do?"

They said "I think you know what you did. Why don't you tell me?"

(I had an idea of the incident but to this day I don't know what I actually did wrong) so I say "Oh, ok, so what was my mistake? Where did I break the law?"

They said "I think we both know your driving fell below your normal and expected standard"

Etc.etc... they wouldn't show me the video or explain what I'd done. The truth was, some utter prick created the situation so he had something to report. What happened was that I was overtaking on a dual carriage way and had bags of room before it went back to single lane but as I got near the other guy, he floored it and tried to squeeze me out, I still had the momentum so went past and MAY (although I'm not sure) have gone over the chevrons. I was proably doing 80mph by then so slowed down (not braking hard) to 60 but the prick was fucking about with his camera (ironically) and didn't slow down so had to slam on. All sounds like I'm making excuses but I shit you not, at the time I thought he was a mental but now I know why he was driving like that. I drive fast but I'm a mega co-operative and safe/forward planning driver - I studied the roadcraft book etc. when I was younger and riding on the road. So I know what I'm doing. (you all know what a cunt I can be, so I make damn sure I'm gen'd up)

They can't so I don't understand how he doesn't know ???
orange , wtf did you just capitulate for ?? as a point of law you have to be informed of the offence you are being prosecuted for ! if you were not told you should have seen a solicitor not just folded !!
As above, I knew the offence but not what I'd done so was not going to try and fight it. You don't stand a chance as they have you on video and obviously think you have done something worth charging. I figured I'd do the course and that would be the end of it.

So - I said on the phone that this is just extortion but I'll take the day off work and the £180 fee to do the driver course. When the letter came, across the top it said "You have admitted guilt in the aforementioned offence of...." I was like "WTF! no I fucking didnt!" but they said it's too late now, just do the course.

Here's where it get's even more fucked up. I went on the course. There were about 20 people on it. It was like being in the fucking twilight zone. I was literally the only person in the room that hadn't caused a fairly significant accident ranging from someone ending up in a wheelchair through to people ending up upside down in hedges etc.

We had to do a theory test/session first and obviously I got all the questions right (why wouldn't you??) but fuck me... the others on the course.. some of them didn't know what the speed limits were or what ABS was for, or other basic stuff.

Then we did the practical... I was in the car with 2 other offenders and the dick head instructor. Literally all he could say about my driving was "when we were doing 50 behind that lorry, you were a bit close"... yeah, if you got your tape measure out but considering I was under examination, it was plenty far enough back.
Out of the other two, one of them went straight across, and I mean STRAIGHT across a double mini roundabout without slowing down or even glancing right. The other almost t-boned someone pulling out of a junction. I'd seen it coming and shouted STOP! so the instructor used the dual controls and slammed on.

Fuck me.. the whole thing from start to finish was like some sort of TV prank.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I still would have seen a solicitor mate , they would have had to produce the evidence to substantiate the charge ! sounds like you bent over and took it .

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
You mean giving it Bermo.
He was really caught on video bumming a tranny in a lay bay.😳😉

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I still would have seen a solicitor mate , they would have had to produce the evidence to substantiate the charge ! sounds like you bent over and took it .
They said the only time I would see the evidence is if I elected to go to court. For £180 it really wasn't worth the hassle. The main thing I was concerned about was having anything to declare on insurance and with the course, you shouldn't have to declare it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Stinks to me of revenue gathering.....ive noticed since lockdown here in Bristol all the speed camera calibration lines on the roads have been repainted (the ones i frequent anyway) the government is skint and theyre getting money back in...

They say " you did something bad..." you want a get out as quick as possible and take the easy route....they (the plod) get some money - you dont get any points, everyone is happy. Repeat 500 to 1000 times a month (or so) or from however many people choose to be cunts... its a win win situation for the government...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts