KTM Owners Forum banner

Dash cam NIP

7K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  DavidS 
#1 ·
I saw a post on Facebook from a local biker who was being prosecuted for overtaking on a solid white line . The footage /evidence had come from A car driver who had sent it to the police .
the police are actively encouraging thus kind of vigilante stuff .
i Wonder where it leaves you if you decide to fight it , say the car driver moved to let you past as they do then pushed you out , or suddenly braked or indicated to turn etc .
Facebook removed the post and any discussion about it .
so be warned for a start , it’s getting silly out there

#3 ·
"I overtook because what you dont see in the video is the hand gestures the driver seemed to be directing me. No idea why, but he seemed furious about something. I'm not interested in getting wrapped up in road rage as I'm vulnerble on a motorbike, so I thought it safer to get past and put some distance between us"

Just need to come up with a mitigating circumstance that warrants the behavior.
I got pulled for overtaking in the outside lane on the M6 in a articulated truck about 20 years ago
My defence was the car in the middle lane was a lane hogger, doing 50mph and technically he could have kept all trucks at that speed for the next 60 miles.
Police called me several weeks later and dropped the case.
There was a car doing 50, but it was more a case that I was in a hurry to get back up north.

#9 ·
People are cunts, the police are cunts. I was done by the police for something caught on dash cam. To this day I have no idea what I did because they wouldn't tell me.

You don't have much chance fighting it. If they offer you a driver re-education course? If so, take it. If not, suck it up but expect 6 points and a fucking enormous fine.

People just love the thought of being all high and mighty over others for the smallest fucking thing.

I have gone and got a dash cam now but won't be reporting anyone for anything that isn't actually dangerous at the time it happened. I've got one because the standard of driving has plummeted since Coronavirus for some reason.

#20 · (Edited)
Stinks to me of revenue gathering.....ive noticed since lockdown here in Bristol all the speed camera calibration lines on the roads have been repainted (the ones i frequent anyway) the government is skint and theyre getting money back in...

They say " you did something bad..." you want a get out as quick as possible and take the easy route....they (the plod) get some money - you dont get any points, everyone is happy. Repeat 500 to 1000 times a month (or so) or from however many people choose to be cunts... its a win win situation for the government...

#22 ·
This all sound very suspect.. you are never required to admit guilt over the phone. They have a procedure they have to follow. First is they have to send you a letter which is the NIP and then the process starts, they also have to identify the correct driver if possible, or allow you as the vehicle owner to say who that driver was.

I suspect the phone call was all just a bluff. The "you know what you did" answers sound like a con man who is fishing to see if you'll admit to anything.

I've just had a quick read up on the process and it seems that, sure enough... they are not required to show you the evidence in order to offer you a FPN (or drivers course), though most police forces will give you access to the footage via a website. You also have no options to dispute the charge with a FPN.
FPN's are for people who know what they did and will accept a lower penalty in exchange for admitting guilt. If you disagree then that has to happen in court, and you'll likely suffer more if still found guilty anyway.

One thing to bare in mind is that if you are given a FPN at the roadside you don't have to accept it there & then. You have time to consider it. To accept the FPN you just have to comply within 28 days, if you choose not to then you have rejected it and it will go to court automatically.

I think if I had the phone call Al received I'd likely just hang up, that way they haven't forced a decision from you and thus made you admit guilt. In fact I won't even identify myself to anyone who calls me so they couldn't even prove who they were speaking to. The days of trusting anyone you don't know on the phone are long gone.

That said.. once the letter arrived I would likely just accept it as Al did. He knows he was involved in something and the cost and time of proving who did what would make it just not worth it. The guy with a camera was git and Al got caught out, chalk that one up to experience.

#37 ·
This all sound very suspect.. you are never required to admit guilt over the phone. They have a procedure they have to follow. First is they have to send you a letter which is the NIP and then the process starts, they also have to identify the correct driver if possible, or allow you as the vehicle owner to say who that driver was.

I suspect the phone call was all just a bluff. The "you know what you did" answers sound like a con man who is fishing to see if you'll admit to anything.

.......I think if I had the phone call Al received I'd likely just hang up, that way they haven't forced a decision from you and thus made you admit guilt.
.......He knows he was involved in something and the cost and time of proving who did what would make it just not worth it. The guy with a camera was git and Al got caught out, chalk that one up to experience.
That's the thing. I didn't admit guilt as I don't consider anything I did to be wrong/illegal in any way. I was given the choice to go on a course or go to court to prove innocence against something I didn't even know what it actually was! I did make it very clear to the copper that I fully expect them to charge the other guy as he was clearly not driving with due care or attention having caused the issue in the first place. The copper said that if they did, I'd never know about it.

Incidentally, I quoted the highway code to the copper - and it states something along the lines of "if being overtaken, you must co-operate and allow the overtake to be completed safely". The copper said that's not true. I was reading from the highway code book.

In all honesty, I wasn't at all surprised by the police - it's an easy tick in the box for them. But to this day if I ever found out who that cunt was, I'd give him a hiding. It's taken me 5 years to not instantly think anyone with a dashcam is an utter prick.... and now I've got one as I feel forced into it.

#27 ·
I suspect that is why only certain offences are prosecuted from dash cam footage.
It requires calibrated instruments for speeding offences but there is no disputing if your tyres are the wrong side of a solid white line. I guess you could say the video was "doctored" or that the you were forced to do that by another, in which case it goes to court.
If the dashcam grass is found to have caused this event then the case switches over to prosecuting them instead, but the burden is on you to prove this first.

#33 ·
Some people need reporting though, this was from my company car last year, I didn't send it in but I was so livid, I nearly did 😤

I was behind a Black Cab in a traffic jam on the motorway last year. I could see a female in the back and she kept moving about, after a minute the window got rolled down and she dropped something. When i got level i saw it was a soiled nappy. She must have been changing her baby in the back of the cab.
I just shook my head but the driver must have saw me in his mirror and mentioned it to the lady in the back. She turned around and furiously flicked me the V`s:oops:
I just laughed, which seemed to infuriate her even more.

In this instance is that the drivers responsibility or the passengers for the "Littering" ?

#31 ·
From what I remember the offence is crossing the solid white line not overtaking.
So not sure if that means if your already on the wrong side of the road you shouldn't cross back and there is also something about being ok to pass stationary vehicles.
Anyway the dashcam bloke is a knob!

#36 · (Edited)
i would have flung her out !
That's bit harsh throwing Babies out of cars 🍼
Same thing happened a few years ago stopped at lights New Car pulls up Passenger door open's Macdonalds Bag threw out with all the shit Cups,Bags, Cardboard,Chips and half eaten Shit Should be closed down or fined for all their shit never had this with Wimpys and Little Chef are Wimpys still on the go :unsure: Well they are not up here :LOL:

#39 ·
On another note, people's attitudes fucking suck nowadays. You know when you're driving along and you see a "safety" camera van, so you warn the oncoming traffic by either flashing or doing the universally accepted "slow down" motion with your hand. I've lost count of the number of times people have responded to that with either a v/finger or wanker sign.. it's hilarious to think what they must feel like when they go around the corner and get snapped. Pricks.

Basically, it seems that very very few people will accept that they have ever done anything wrong or stupid when driving nowadays, so maybe dashcams are the only way people are going to think about what they do??

#41 ·
On another note, people's attitudes fucking suck nowadays. You know when you're driving along and you see a "safety" camera van, so you warn the oncoming traffic by either flashing or doing the universally accepted "slow down" motion with your hand. I've lost count of the number of times people have responded to that with either a v/finger or wanker sign.. it's hilarious to think what they must feel like when they go around the corner and get snapped. Pricks.

Basically, it seems that very very few people will accept that they have ever done anything wrong or stupid when driving nowadays, so maybe dashcams are the only way people are going to think about what they do??
Just work on the basis that 99% of the population are cunts then you won't have the ongoing dissapointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.