KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been looking in the .GOV sites and can't find any info on day MOTs. I have been told that you can have a day MOT if the bike has no lights but you can't ride at night. My KTM 250 EXC has no lights and no speedo but is road registered and has a current MOT. Im pretty sure it needs a speedo but am uncertain about the day MOT situation.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? and the speedo issue.

Thanks

Nick.:)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
You dont need a speedo for an M.O.T ,but you do need an speed indicator/device to be road legal (bicycle one will do ) ,you will also need a reflector on the rear of the bike (small round one on the number plate )

When you have your bike M.O.T'd the garge will give you an advisory that no lights were fitted at the time of the test but it will still pass ,most dontissue the advisory but it is exactly the same piece of paper ,it is not just at night your not allowed to ride but also states you are not to ride in very poor light conditions (make your own mind up on that one )

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dont even need a reflector.

Done a few to date, does need a horn though, mtb battery one on the bars will do.

You should get a VT32 saying that `No lights fitted at time of test` to that effect.

Chris.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pretty much what JaseXT said however;

I have just got my sidecar through a 'daytime' MOT. You need a road legal numberplate and a constant sounding horn to pass a 'daytime' MOT. There isnt actually such thing as a 'daytime' MOT, you just get an advisory saying lights are not fitted. If lights are fitted to your bike then taping them up is sufficient for the tester to deem they are not fitted. You will need some form of speedo for the tester to enter the Milometer reading into the MOT computer, although the speedo does not have to work!! No where on my MOT certificate did it say that I couldnt use the outfit at night.

Hope this helps a bit....

·
Registered
110 Posts
No it doesnt say anything different apart from an advisory issued, the police can check this on the system if needed and give you a grilling accordingly, if you are out in the dark with no lights, well......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 125 sx. M..O.T states no lights fitted at time of test, have a legal size plate with reflector stuck on and little battery horn stuck to back of number board. Speedo is not a legal requirement on bikes or cars. Though if a speedo is fitted it has to work the same as lights. Can fail you for a brake light not working if fitted, though not if no light fitted at all. And then theres not for highway tyres, just grind off the "NOT" part, hey presto road legal! Don't think Mousses are road legal either.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Very clued up mate.....:D:D:D

I`ve done loads of `Enduro/Trail` bikes and still do, it pays to be ontop of things.

Get out in the peaks pal, give me a text and get it sorted, not roosted you in a long time..... :666: :666: :666:

Chris.
Haha. When i get a trailer/transport for the 2 smog i will do!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies people.

The MOT was done before I purchased the bike and it did come with a VT32 certificate saying no lights...

A horn and a speedo will have to be fitted then.

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Just a thought.

If a speedo is not a legal requirement on a car or a bike...

The next time I get booked for speeding, can I say "I didn't know how fast I was going m'lud because I haven't got a speedo ".......

OK, I'll get mi coat then....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Last year my EXC passed with a metal reg plate. Reasonable size but no BS mark or post code of maker. I understand the MOT now checks the plate. Correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts