KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Festive greetings to you all.
Looking to update some hand tools, hex keys, side cutters etc. My thinking is Draper and Sealey are ‘average’. I have seen some German brands that are dearer than the above and I would like to think, superior quality.
What do you use and where from?.
Many thanks and Happy New Year, let’s hope it’s better than this ‘shower of sh#t’.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Bahco for socket sets, adjustables and hex keys
Halford Advance for screwdriver, spanner’s and torque wrenches
Wera for screwdriver, hex keys and spanner’s (Joker, expensive but good)
knippex for anykind ofpliers and.cutters

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I used to buy the odd Draper, but the quality seems to have dropped off the last few years. Sealey and Clarke is pretty meh too.
Teng are very good quality.
Halfords Advanced, same.
Irwin for grips, extractors, etc.
As said, Knippex are good
Vessel JIS screwdrivers. Not cheap, but definitely needed if you work on Jap bikes. Or any bike with shitty Philips/Pozi screws.
Also look for second hand British tools on ebay, King Dick, etc. Usually top quality, and easily a match for Snap On.

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 for the Halfords ranges. As good as you can get on the High St and with very good warranties.

As a child of Sheffield, I have a lot of original Britool, Stanley and Eclipse tools amongst others. Most were bought when I first started riding in the late 70s/early 80s and they still get used most days. I have bought old British made tools on the local market that are still better than you can buy new these days, especially cutting tools like taps, dies and drills.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Anyone bought a digital torque adaptor recently? I was looking for something at the cheaper end of the scale simply to act as basic calibration for my older Britool torque wrenches and to turn a 3 ft breaker bar into a torque wrench for those odd heavy duty jobs.

·
Administrator
9,293 Posts
I went for Bahco, very good quality.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Bahco, l was going to say, but its already been said. I have their socket sets, ratchet stubbies, allan keys and pliers. I have had a lot of it since the late 1980's and its still going strong.

Halfords torque wrenches and ratchet spanners have been very good (stayed callibrated for 20 years)

Teng torx bits as they fit.

Other stuff - jcb make good screwdrivers.

It will all end up in a yard sale when l get shovelled into the old folks home.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Tool chests - l recently treated myself to some teng ...... you can get a good deal if you go straight to the uk supplier (l got the lot for 1/2 price)

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Anyone bought a digital torque adaptor recently? I was looking for something at the cheaper end of the scale simply to act as basic calibration for my older Britool torque wrenches and to turn a 3 ft breaker bar into a torque wrench for those odd heavy duty jobs.
You dont need to spend a lot - even the cheapo ones are accurate.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Tool chests - l recently treated myself to some teng ...... you can get a good deal if you go straight to the uk supplier (l got the lot for 1/2 price)
You bought a Teng Tool cab from Teng themselves? Always thought you needed a small mortgage for their cabs. Never seen them do deals to be honest.
I'm after a Tool cab myself.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
You bought a Teng Tool cab from Teng themselves? Always thought you needed a small mortgage for their cabs. Never seen them do deals to be honest.
I'm after a Tool cab myself.
Yes - l got local contact info from a garage with an account ...... spoke to them direct and what was approx 1600 became 800.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I’m still using my Britool stuff from when I was in the trade. Seem hard to source now and inferior quality to my others, some I’ve had for over 40 years, still going strong. Otherwise Teng or Facom. Some snap on but only bought second hand!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Had Facom spanners for many years, prefer nonchrome handtools.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Bahco 1/2” socket set, Teng 3/8 set (20 years older and much loved) and a small Halfords 1/4” set that I use more than anything else. I broke my Halfords 3/8 breaker bar and they gave me a new one without question.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts