KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate having to do this, but the bike (2001 KTM 200 EXC) is doing me in both financially and mentally. I loved riding it, and was going to be using it again for the short commute I do, plus a bit of laning, the odd enduro and occasional MX practice day. After my off at Golding Barn, I set about getting bits to rebuild it, but now, due to family (wife and 4 young kids), lack of time, needing money to go toward home extension, needing space in the garage, worry about how much more I could have hurt myself and not being able to work.......it's got to go for the time being. I've got heaps of other interests so I'll only be doing myself out of one small solo interest and can deal with that.

My problem is......I don't know whether to sell it as a complete bike with loads of spares for someone to finish themselves, or to spend more time (that I don't have) on finishing it off, or to just break it and sell as spares?

I have just put new seals in the forks, I replaced piston ring was done about 15 riding hours ago and engine is all good, I put new SSS HD non-o ring chain on about 1 riding hour ago, I've put on new Renthal bars, I've bought a load of second hand plastics, a later airbox, seat, rear end, subframe that needs slight mod to fit properly (will cost £20 to do). The tyres are good, and I have a virtually brand new spare front as well, silencer needs replacing (or one of the mounts on the silencer welding), it has a Doma front pipe - it's making me sick wondering how I'm going to find time to do it all myself and I hate just seeing it there in the middle of the garage.

Also, I got boots (Forma Terrain TX pivot ones) that cost me a fair amount of dosh new, and I've worn them once! They need to go too.

Really, I think I must have been in some cloud cuckoo land the last few years with aspirations of using it much much more....but it just ain't happened and I don't think it will, not while I've got so much I need to do and so little money. I really need to sort things out, and coming off like I did had kicked me into reality I suppose.

Please, I don't want talking out of getting rid of it. I'll get another bike later when we're a bit better off financially (which I'm hoping won't be too far off as I've got a good feeling about a couple of jobs) and I've got time to do it.

Sorry for the ramble......

Pete,
Brighton

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You'd probably get more money if you broke it Pete,but have you got the time to bugger about stripping it down and listing/selling all the individual bits?

I'd chuck it on e blag with all the bits and wipe my mouth of it.Someone will snap it up.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
hmm, broken 2nd hand bikes can be tricky to sell, probably the best place is on here. nice big ad with plenty of pictures and a good description and someone who knows what is what will get a fair bargain, you will get as good a price as you can (IMHO) and everyone is happy(ish) when all said and done, you will make a loss and I know you dont want talking out of it but personally, Id pack it neatly into boxes and hide it in the garage/shed somewhere. It won't bring any money in now but in a couple of years it will be an easy build and cost peanuts.

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
The worst part of breaking a bike is packaging the parts up. I hate doing it, takes ages and there is the worry that the parts might get damaged.

Sell it as a whole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts