KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started a deeeeep clean on my 950sm. I started to take it apart last night, when I was taking the plastics off all kinds of dead bug’s chunks of dirt, gravel and leaves were wedged in every possible place!

I got it to a decent stage last night but I’ll be going at the engine tonight. The plan is to powder coat the main frame (black) and spring (orange) because they are starting to show signs of rust and then give the rest a bloody good clean, whilst added a few mods along the way.

Does anyone know the best way to clean up the rear under seat frame? I don’t want to paint it but it’s got all black marks on it I can’t get off?

If anyone has any tips or advice on other things I should look at while it’s in bits that would be very helpful, it’s a 06 with just less than 14k on the clock if that helps in anyway.

I’ve put some pics on what it looks like now (they are not great my camera on my phone was covered in grease/oil) and if anyone is interested I'll keep putting on updated!

cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like it would make a cool chop!
Thats exactly what I was thinking... slap a simple seatpan on there, a fake tank around the frame/airbox and you'd have one mean chopper/streetfighter...

/bfg

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Id be powdercoating the subframe along with the frame. Might just be my tastes, but its not something you want to feature, and black blends it away IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like it would make a cool chop!
Yeah I think it lookes a but like a duke monster!

Id be powdercoating the subframe along with the frame. Might just be my tastes, but its not something you want to feature, and black blends it away IMO.
I'll look into that but then the pillion pegs would look out of place and they will need coating :hmh:

Get those gates powdercoated too whilst you're at it
Those are the landlords and he refuses to move them, so they have been religated to the back garden! Im just going to weigh them in eventually might pay for a tank of fuel! :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
While your waiting for the frame to come back from the powder coaters give your garage a paint out :D
Oh and get the subframe coated aswell..

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Get yourself 5 Litres of TFR (Traffic Film Remover) from a Cleaning supplies or a decent Car Spares (about £6). Mix 1 Litre TFR to 2 Litres warm water, sponge it on, soften it up a bit, then go at it with a decent stiff hand brush ,that will shift it...Its non caustic but strong,and if you get it on any painted areas, the paint will go flat but will come back with a bit of car polish...And dont forget ,a decent car wax works wonders on plastic after you have cleaned it ....:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do cheers for the advice sipermoto ill look into that.

I would love to paint the garage a make it my own but I'm only renting to its a pretty pointless task, it does need a good brushing out though!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do cheers for the advice sipermoto ill look into that.

I would love to paint the garage a make it my own but I'm only renting to its a pretty pointless task, it does need a good brushing out though!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Alright mate! You still on here! :D is that where the party took place! ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah in my garage! lol Yeah I’m still loitering round here, I’ve still not seen your new bike when you back this way? I'm in Chester Saturday night if you fancy a few scoops?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Yeah in my garage! lol Yeah I’m still loitering round here, I’ve still not seen your new bike when you back this way? I'm in Chester Saturday night if you fancy a few scoops?
Still in yorkshire mate will be back after the 12th when test run has finished! new bike is very yellow! :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts