KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the gen2 gt but not sure about the electric fuel cap etc. Part of the sales pitch for the gen 2 sdr was stronger crank and titanium valves. Would love to know if any late mk1 gt have that engine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? Do you not think there is any chance they may of put the later engine in ?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
KTM engines are already allocated a numbered chassis when they are made. They don't makes stack of engines and pick one off the shelf when there's a chassis waiting. So they don't make "spare" engines. They decide how many finished bikes of a particular model they are going to build in a given production run before they retool to build a different model. They then produce exactly the required quantity of chassis and engines with each having the number that pairs it with its mate before they start.
So it is highly unlikely a mk2 engine would have been around to find its way into a mk 1 chassis.

Just ride it's cotton socks off and when it's done 100,000 miles and needs a refresh stick titanium valves and a mk 2 crank in if it bothers you.
If the internal combustion engine hasn't been banned by the George Soros world government by that time.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
For a start a GT's engine will be mapped differently to an SDR's. The GT will have a "softer" power delivery so it doesn't blow the smoke from your pipe into your eyes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've Done 60k on my tuned Z1 and 35k on my turbo bandit with 320 bhp at the back wheel and a busa steet fighter with 450 break. I have had lots of jap bikes and no there foibles. Have a couple of friends with mk1 1290 sdr and no the issues they have had. As with any new bike the teething issues need to ironed out ie leaking fuel tanks leaking radiators cracking discs etc. I know ktm have the worst reputation when it comes to after sales support/warranty. Don't know anyone that's done 60k on a 1290??

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
"Don't know anyone that's done 60k on a 1290??"

Me neither, but have seen people on tinterwebbook that have, so it must be true.

KTM's warranty work is second to none, never personally had any issue. Leaking fuel tanks and cracked disks are not common at all. Please expand?

Have you considered a H2SX?

What did you do to the Z1, we love pictures on here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best not buy one then. Probably be too slow for you anyway with your massive man's bikes...

We are not worthy
View attachment 35444
You are probably right:)
I do fancy a v twin that isn't a hardly dangerous and actually goes round corners.. my mate lent me his gt mk2 for a weekend and I loved it. Don't get low down grunt with turbo due to low compression pistons.
My only real concern is stuff like electric tank filler and keyless ignition. I know the mk1 and mk2 have the same frames and know you can get the software upgrade for the suspension. Just wondering about reliability between the two versions? here's a couple of my toys

Me neither, but have seen people on tinterwebbook that have, so it must be true.

KTM's warranty work is second to none, never personally had any issue. Leaking fuel tanks and cracked disks are not common at all. Please expand?

trying to work out how to upload some pictures the click here to upload doesn't seem to be working:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
my mate lent me his gt mk2 for a weekend and I loved it.
My only real concern is stuff like electric tank filler and keyless ignition.
That's all you need to worry about.
You'll soon forget about stories you've heard from a mate about KTM. Everyone has those mates. Just look at his face when you start popping 4th & 5th gear overtakes from afar, whilst he's hooking gears on his superior brand motorcycle to do the same.

Yes the keyless ignition is shite and yes you might have issues with it, but KTM are on the case with them now. Chances are though it'll be fine and your mate's will be pissed off.

Fuck sake, just copy and paste!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I HAD KEYLESS on my gen2 SD no isses or the fuel cap , as charlie arlie says forget that bit...i will be first to boot the bike over if and when the 1290ADV goes tits up :D

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
My SDR has now done 30000 miles with no issues. There are some out there that have done 60000 miles one chap in the states was hoping to break the 100000 but his crank gave out I think at 80 + thousand miles. So don’t think reliability is a problem,every bike company has it’s Friday bikes?

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Turbo Bandit and Busa street fighter.😂🤮
And you’re worrying about a locking fuel cap and keyless ignition. Two things I’ve never heard an issue with, besides not locking it properly.
Please click on the paper clip above and post pics of the 3 most powerful bikes in history.
If you can organise a turbo on a bike, you can do that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts