KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I’ve just come back from a mixed long ride after fitting a Scorpion Red slip on. Sounds nice, not to loud and plenty of grunt. However, with my slip on, cat and a K&N I’m wondering if I need to fit a Power Commander? After test riding a SDR 2020 I really wish my GT had that hooligan power of the SDR. It’s really aggressive and torquey. Makes my GT feel a little tame by comparison. I’m aware I cant make my GT like the R but would like it to run smoother with more HP if thats possible. Your thoughts please....

·
Registered
540 Posts
first off, unfortunately for FI, almost every and any (minute) change to the inlet to the exhaust will most likely need a run on the dyno for checking. a simple exhaust can having the baffles removed changes the setup (more exhaust out draws more air intake with same amount of fuel means leaner running and engine getting hotter).
secondly, all new bikes come from the factory already pretty lean to meet emissions legislation.

thirdly, you have changed the exhaust and intake, and its already lean. so yes, if you can't access it by TuneECU then have a PC fitted and proper map setup on the dyno.

Reactions: devonbiker

·
Registered
15,275 Posts
Put a 16T front on, £20 well spent, then do the O2 delete, £30 mod, it will be really good then. The low speed fuelling and chugging is primarily caused by the above gearing / O2 sensor gubbins

If you want extra power, torque etc. then

Full Akrapovic
PCV with custom tune combined with a Rottweiler/ DNA / Motohooligan airbox

It doesn’t get any better than the above

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bought my 17 GT last year, ditched the cat straight away with a bypass pipe,Wings end can and took the lamba’s Off and fitted dongles and put 2 teeth on the back sprocket.

It’s runs very well I have to say,and that’s compared to s1000xr that been the same route, had a Motohooligan shipped from the States, and bought a secondhand PC, which I still need to fit then hopefully all will be revealed.

Also bought some Dymags which will be a completely different story depending on how they get on with the electric sus....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought my 17 GT last year, ditched the cat straight away with a bypass pipe,Wings end can and took the lamba’s Off and fitted dongles and put 2 teeth on the back sprocket.

It’s runs very well I have to say,and that’s compared to s1000xr that been the same route, had a Motohooligan shipped from the States, and bought a secondhand PC, which I still need to fit then hopefully all will be revealed.

Also bought some Dymags which will be a completely different story depending on how they get on with the electric sus....
My concern with removing the cat is noise levels. Changing the exhaust can to Scorpion Red sounds about right. I can imagine removing the cat would double the volume I’m guessing?

What dongles did you fit? I’m new to KTM so I only know PCV.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
probably 4x the noise level lol and these dongles are what you need :

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you want to stick with the cat then it’s pointless fitting a PC because all they will end up doing fighting each, I’ve no problem with the noise level on my Wings can but of course that is with the baffle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am all for a full akra (which I have 😁) and an air box, power commander, custom map, etc (which I am about to have 😁). Only trouble is it’s serious money in one go!

Also by the time you spend money on an end can, de cat, air box, pc fuel module, pc ignition module, custom map etc, your going to have spent a fortune and it’s gonna be fucking loud!

Prob for a lot less money you could buy a second hand full Akra system and run the akra map. Coupled with the sas delete (which is inc or virtually free) and a -1 front sprocket you’ll have a massive improvement and have the option of baffle in (pretty quiet actually) or baffle out, fucking harmonious!

·
Registered
15,275 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
View attachment 35705

I’ve just come back from a mixed long ride after fitting a Scorpion Red slip on. Sounds nice, not to loud and plenty of grunt. However, with my slip on, cat and a K&N I’m wondering if I need to fit a Power Commander? After test riding a SDR 2020 I really wish my GT had that hooligan power of the SDR. It’s really aggressive and torquey. Makes my GT feel a little tame by comparison. I’m aware I cant make my GT like the R but would like it to run smoother with more HP if thats possible. Your thoughts please....
If you're only down in Devon, get yourself up to Moto Corsa in Dorset. They have a dyno in the workshop and Dave Arnold, the workshop manager, owned a gen 1 SDR and has custom mapped them without fitting PCs. They're on the case up there with race team experience and some of the guys who worked at Cresent Verwood in the KTM days are there as well now. I plan a full custom remap of my SDR at some point over the winter when I've got the air filter kit sorted.

Give them a ring and speak to the workshop.
Service, Repairs & Restorations - Moto Corsa

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Play the long game,bypass was £200 secondhand the PCV was £150 also secondhand the Motoholligan was brought back from the States by friends.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mega price on that Akra.

£367.02 delivered for motohooligan air box kit with some sas blanking plates with their logo on chucked in. Pain in the arse uk customs/tax on that...however fucking much that will be?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I’ll let the Mrs know 👍...it’s for my birthday next month 😉 ....she wouldn’t stretch to the pc’s as well 🙄🤪

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Only need the airbox and intakes. Already have the Akra full system so SAS is already gone and don't need a PC as I can get a custom map locally (unsure whether this can be done with a gen 2).

Just got to decide whether to go Motohoolign, DNA or Rottweiler.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was worried about poss loss of mid range and too much intake noise in your face with the rotty, so had settled on the motohooligan. Although the DNA stage 3 one looks the best.....anyone got any more info on them, they claim 15hp at the wheel gains, but at what cost? Lots of dyno results for the others on p3 tuning vids, none for the dna.

·
Registered
15,275 Posts
Rotty gets more peak power, Motohooligan gets better mid range, DNA is split between the two, differences are minimal though, couple of ponies here and there

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When I uncorked my SMT I started off with a Rotty and then bought a stage 3 DNA because I couldn't resist the quality and back then I had more money than sense (run out of both now).
TBH I couldn't detect any difference at all, except perhaps the intake noise was marginally less raspy and harsh with the DNA and the cleaning routine was easier. An you get a hard-on every time you take the tank off.

On the 990 unit, at least - don't know about the 1290 but I imagine it's the same - the stage 3 DNA filter is as tall as the Rottweiler so whatever tuned intakes you use in the Rotty should fit in the DNA as well.
On the SMT I used one standard intake on the front and a shorter RC8R intake on the rear and they fitted perfectly with both base plates.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Does the DNA not come with the velocity stacks? At £569 it must? Motohooligan kit comes with ‘two billet’ short ones, which they say, ‘no loss of bottom end power’. I assume using different ones they’ve experienced some power loss and that’s why the kit is now supplied with those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts