KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Ive got a KTM 250XC-F 2011, had it from new, and as you know the 2011-2012 range had a few minor problems with the fuel injection system. Mine ran for around 20 hours before it started playing up and wouldn't start from cold. We took it down to Redline ktm who installed the standard modifications (inline filters, rubber boot for the throttle position sensor, and a remap) that plus a new spark plug, seemed to sort it for a short while. I'm now having similar problems, the bike won't start from cold, only really wants to be bump started.

SO COME ON GUYS! KTM or someone must know by now whats causing these problems?? can someone please point me in the right direction to someone who can finally sort this for me. Not bothered if it costs, just want it putting right, currently ruining a otherwise good bike!

Just for your information, the bike is extremely well maintained, fuel filters, valve clearances, spark plugs etc. all spot on.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Has your fuel tank got the sock filter from new and what fuel you running it on and petrol can's are they plastic or metal?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
if its the fuel pump parky on here has the CA cycleworks one from the usa £100 delivered we bought a spare for our berg but didnt need it.....and TBH i'd be surprised if it was the fuel pump
the 1st thing id check is the valve on the petrol tank its probably something small good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have run it with the sock filter in the fuel tank from new, and we do run it with the super unleaded fuel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
as far as i know the xcf never had a fuel pump problem as they have a different pump from the sxf,every one i know with an sxf had problems & ktm changed there pumps as with mine,i know a fiew lads with xcfs & never had pump problems,have you had the injector cleaned,i might be tempted on that option

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi i've got 350 exc-f 12 model i guess that its the same, any way i had problems starting from cold only as well, how i start mine now is open then choke (idle screw) then fire the bike up the same way as normal fires up straight away, leave it a bit then turn the choke off.
hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as i know the xcf never had a fuel pump problem as they have a different pump from the sxf,every one i know with an sxf had problems & ktm changed there pumps as with mine,i know a fiew lads with xcfs & never had pump problems,have you had the injector cleaned,i might be tempted on that option
Yeah I doubt its the fuel pump but probably worth a check. Yeah the tanks on the sxf's produced a load of gunk which got sucked through the fuel line, for some reason it was only on the black sxf tanks though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Had a similar issue with a couple of husky te310's. it turned out to be the temp sensor. It wasn't working so when it was cold it couldn't tell the ecu to make an increase in the fuel for cold starting. It's worth a try personally. At Dixie.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was told by Ktm uk that the 250 had problems with the spark plug cap , worth ago as it could be a cheap fix , but normally spark plug cap fails when hot !
I've always associated poor cold starting with out of spec valves, certainly worth rechecking before going deeper.

I take it you are using the choke to start from cold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a similar issue with a couple of husky te310's. it turned out to be the temp sensor. It wasn't working so when it was cold it couldn't tell the ecu to make an increase in the fuel for cold starting. It's worth a try personally. At Dixie.
This sounds very plausible to be honest, will have a check!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told by Ktm uk that the 250 had problems with the spark plug cap , worth ago as it could be a cheap fix , but normally spark plug cap fails when hot !
I've always associated poor cold starting with out of spec valves, certainly worth rechecking before going deeper.

I take it you are using the choke to start from cold :rolleyes:
Yes well we tried most things, kickstart with and without choke, electric start with and without choke, alternating between choke on and off depending on how it sounded. eventually started when bump starting it down the road, but was incredibly hard to keep running, and wont idle by itself, very on and off!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Something that just sprung to mind :
Make sure the air filter is seated correctly , I did this on a old rm 125 after a rebuild, not sure why I checked the air filter ???? , but after reseating the air filter it ran like a dream !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something that just sprung to mind :
Make sure the air filter is seated correctly , I did this on a old rm 125 after a rebuild, not sure why I checked the air filter ???? , but after reseating the air filter it ran like a dream !
checked this, thanks though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the helpful reply's so far everyone! Really is a big help, keep them coming if theres anymore!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Clean the injector for sure easy job
YouTube will show you how if your not sure
I clean my injector every 15 hours

1 - 19 of 19 Posts