KTM Owners Forum banner

Drops of water in SM-T headlight assembly?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  scorcher 
#1 ·
I rode home through wet snow falling last night, and when I got home, I noticed that there were drops of water INSIDE the SM-T's headlight assembly , where I couldn't reach them to dry them up with a towel or something.

Should water be able to get in there? Or was it just moisture in the air condensing into water inside the headlight assembly?

Has anyone had this happen on their bike, and is it a problem?

#2 ·
Asking the stupid question (only because I made the same mistake) - are you sure the water is in the headlight?? The reason I ask as because you can get water on the outside base of the headlight (hopefully this makes sense) that can look like drops on the inside base of the headlight.

If it is in the headlight, then no - you shouldn't be able to get water in there and it's unlikely any significant amount of moisture / condensate would get in there

#3 ·
I thought the water might be on the outside bottom, but I tried to wipe it off with a towel and I couldn't. Pretty sure it was inside the headlight, unless it was an optical illusion of some kind... :eek:

#7 ·
I pulled up at the KTM dealer and met a guy who had an SM. The first thing he did was to check out if there was moisture inside my headlight. He said it is a known issue... So worth keeping an eye on and looking carefully whether the moisture is on the inside. At least check once a little before the warranty runs out ;)

#10 ·
Whilst this subject has popped up again, on a similar note........ I noticed that when I had the headlight assembly apart to fit my healtech gear indicator ,there was quite a lot of water in the back around all the wiring and inside the nose fairings.I had washed the bike not long beforehand but there did seem to be quite a lot in there.I dried mine and gave all the wiring a coating of ACF50. All that moisture can't be good for the electrics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.