KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have agreed to attempt dry January, under pressure from the wife and daughter. I'm a what you might describe as a functioning alcoholic, i.e . I drink every day.

How the fuck did agree to this? This is going to be horrendous but I have to do this to prove them all wrong.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My birthday and Burns night are in January... never gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
We have Febfast here, I’ve done it the last four years. It’s bloody hard, January would be way harder!
I generally lose 4kg and sets me up for the year. You do feel great.
It’s good to show alcohol who is in control.:D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not so sure about that and I dont think my liver would agree
It's a fascinating book, but bloody dangerous if you like a drink.

It shows that most of the direct damage they say booze does is wrong. The livers of heavy drinkers aren't any more damaged than non-drinkers when they open them up (i.e. Keith Floyd's liver was in top shape after the bowel cancer got him). Alcohol doesn't put on weight directly because the calories in alcohol aren't biologically available (i.e. most serious piss-heads are skinny). Drinking limits are pretty much made up. And even if they were based on studies of consumption, they'd still be too low because on average people under-state the amount of booze they drink by 50%. Lots of stuff like this. And lots of studies showing that a little booze significantly improves health (lower cancer rates, better heart health, lower rates of dementia, lower rates of arthritis, amongst others).

The problems from boozing are the secondary effects. Booze stimulates appetite, so you're more likely to over-eat; stops you doing other things that help your mental and physical health (like taking the bike out), and makes you do things that harm your mental and physical health (like falling over, anti-social behaviour, etc)

So good luck. But you're probably in pretty good shape healthwise if you just have a wee dram each day.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Fuckin hell. I went out last night and had three more pints of speckled hen when I got home and this morning I woke up thinking I ought to give tonight's new years eve party a miss. I'll have to go now.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I did it this year.. it sucked.
And afterwards I made up for it so it was probably pointless anyway. :p

I expected to feel better for it at some point, I didn't...
I was hoping to get better sleep, I didn't...

I guess I'm just not susceptible to placebo effect, or maybe I'm just a miserable sod who doesn't sleep well. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Apparently we've evolved to be boozers.

They reckon that back in the old days those that put some booze in their water to kill the bugs survived and those that didn't died of horrible diseases. So natural selection chose the boozers and we got to the stage where it was good for us.

And men are better boozers than women because women don't produce as much of an enzyme used to break down booze in the body. So they get pissed quicker and for longer. So better value for money at least.

Some groups of humans like native Americans, aborigines, and east Asians don't make that enzyme at all, so they get pissed on very little booze.

But us Brits are born to booze.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
Mrs Shipdamite has just gone beer shopping for tonights celebration - peroni gran reserve / leffe / special brew are on the menu (with auchentoshan night caps)

Dry Jan for us too.

HNY my friends.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Can’t get the Peroni Gran Reserva over here... shame, Mrs loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Happy new year and sod dry January or any other month.
Got to practice for our trip to South Africa in February. Not staying in the Cape area for two weeks and sipping lemonade! The exchange rate is really good so great food and wine is relatively dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
It’s got more bite to it than Nastro Azzuro. I’ve not tried the Gran Riserva.
We did a BA sale club trip so we got to use the lounge and the Red Label was free on draught in Rome airport but I had to drive back home so only risked one glass.
Hubby of the family at the next table was necking it down but, from their conversation, was clearly driving Them all home from Gatwick :eek:

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Most proper boozers are skinny bastards because they don’t eat, they spend there cash on grog. And the ones with money have massive beer belly’s.
If you eat normally, the right amount of calories for your sex, age, size etc, and drink a lot you will be a fat cunt. Especially women.
Calories are calories and there’s a shitload in grog, as well as carbs.
I love drinking, but you feel brilliant off it. But most non drinkers suck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did it last year, first time I'd done more than 2 consecutive days without drinking for 30 years, I reckon. Going for it again this year. It's really not as bad as you might think. Drinking every night is mostly just habit for me .
Most notable effect was sleeping better, waking up not feeling tired is a good thing. Didnt stop me getting straight back on it in feb , mind you.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts