KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a couple of scroats today pushing a real nice DRZ across a busy bypass in Basingstoke. It had no number plate and they had no riding gear, so alarm bells started ringing. I followed them to a quiet estate where they started fiddling around with it. Heart said get out of the car and front them up, hedd said ring the rozzers. Head won, the daft bastards were still there when the police turned up, one legged it the other was to slow. He tried to say they found it there, not realising I'd tracked them for 20 mins. Turns out the locks had been mullered, including the filler cap so it had newspaper stuffed in the hole to stop the fuel spraying out, which caused a vacuum and stopped the bike! And neither of them were clever enough to realise. Turns out it was nicked from Middlesex, so if anyone knows someone around that way who has lost a 58 plate black DRZ 400 SM Basingstoke police have it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Nice one Dug :smokin:

I'da put the fuel soaked newspaper in their pockets,
and given them a ten seconds head start before
getting the Zippo out! ;)

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Nice work fella.

You did the right thing too. If you'd got out, you can't legally do anything to them (they're probably under age), and anything you do that's illegal ( ;) ) will stand against you, and probably get them off the charges for nicking the bike.

Legally, you can only use force to "arrest" someone when their crime is proper robbery - not theft - i.e. Robbery is stealing from a person who is present, not absent (which is Theft), and you have to be a direct witness.
I assume that if you come across nicking YOUR bike, the Theft becomes Robbery - as you are now present, so knock 'em out, I say. :D

At least that the way it used to be under Section 28. There have been some changes recently tho.

Good outcome anyway.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Well done.

I saw a young lad on the outskirts of Eastbourne pushing an small capacity unregistered SX the other day (carrying his helmet) and I got a bit suspicious but looking at him it seemed to me that he was one cheesed off owner trying to push it up a long hill on a main road in a respectable built up area - certainly didn't look sinister as there were so many people around and I wouldn't think outer Eastbourne is a hot-bed of bike crime.

Or I hope my gut feeling was correct anyway.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Classic one for you:

... Saw three kids, probably around 13yrs old, pushing an MV Augusta near Great Portland Street station in the West End... No gear, no helmets, no keys... no brains...

They reckoned it was theirs. LOL. Clearly very rich kids, or perhaps the latest boyband spending thier tour money... :rolleyes:

As I got closer they dropped it and ran.

I didn't give chase cos they left it in the middle of the road. I pushed it to where I normally see it parked every day :rolleyes: and left a note on it for the owner to buy a fooking disc lock, at least.

Didn't bother with the Police that time as I know there's nothing they can do with scrotes that young.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts