KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first problem ive had with my Duke although i have only had it since March. I think it has shit itself. Came home from work other day, and left the bike out on the drive because i was going out again for a spin. After about an hour i came back and tried to start it.

Damn thing wouldnt go. When i left it after getting home i hadnt touched anything. Only taken the key out and left it there. It wasnt raining. Tried all the usual crap, had i knocked the kill switch, choke on etc... So the first thing i thought was the spark plug. Took it out checked it against engine while turning over...No dice. So anyway after checking a whole bunch of crap with a multimeter i found there were no power coming out of ignition coil. I bought a new one thinking it might be fried and also a new spark plug. Tried again today and still nothing.

After checking the grounds, fuses both battery and in the headlamp cowl. I also checked and cleaned any electrical connections i could find and tested them aswell. I tested what i think was a starter fuse in the headlamp cowel. Voltage would change when i cranked her over. That seemed to be okay.

So long story short, after checking the wires and fuses and they seem to be cool, replacing the ignition coil AND spark plug, does that leave the CDI? Because there is power coming out of the CDI to the ignition coil but no power out of the ignition coil itself. What sort of power output should i look to measure out of the CDI. Could it be the rectifier?

I have a feeling this is going to get expensive. Either in parts, labour or beer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had plenty of power to start with it cranked over no problem. Tried kick starting, with spark plug out and against wall of engine an no spark... I will give the jump a try.

Thanks.

Gave it a jump and tried battery on charge still no luck. So im having a mate who knows something about motorbike electronics have a look! My electronics knowledge is pretty limited :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
It had plenty of power to start with it cranked over no problem. Tried kick starting, with spark plug out and against wall of engine an no spark... I will give the jump a try.

Thanks.

Gave it a jump and tried battery on charge still no luck. So im having a mate who knows something about motorbike electronics have a look! My electronics knowledge is pretty limited :(
Have you had any joy sorting your problem out?
My Duke II did the same sort of thing on Monday night, I rode to work in the afternoon, worked my shift, started her up and when I pulled off I got about 5 feet and it just died???
I checked the main fuse under the seat as nothing was working at all and it had blown. I swapped it over and that blew straight away so I tried a 25amp one and that lasted a second then blew. I got my bike home the other day and spent this afternoon looking for a loose or chaffed or something before I took it in anywhere. I couldnt find a thing wrong with it. I tried another 20amp fuse for a laugh and its working fine again???? I did notice that when I turn my bike on there is a fast ticking noise from my CDI that Ive never noticed before so am thinking that this may be the problem

Bobba

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
any sidestand or clutch switches? check them, check ignition too key on and wiggle a bit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its at mates workshop. He knows more about electronics than myself. When i first had the problem, i checked the fuses and they were fine. It would'nt start and then ride, it just wouldnt start at all. There was no spark at plug or HT lead both of which i tested against the cyclinder head. Checked connections and ignition coil and fuses with a multimeter. Could be something to do with the sidestand switch as someone has messed around with in the past. But Im a paint sprayer, no electronics expert! So best left in the hands of someone who knows a little something. I will post an update as soon as i get anywhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You sound as though you've checked most things, but before you try replacing the CDI (as they are non-refundable Items), check the pulse generator. That's what tells the CDI when to spark, so if its dead the CDI wont put the right 'pulse' voltage onto the ignition coil (even if there IS a voltage there).

After you've tested that, give me a PM as I have a CDI. (need to sell some stuff on to buy a new Conrod for my 625! )
I'll try and find the test procedures for that, cant seem to find at the moment. I know they're out there though, I've used them myself!

Good Luck
x

·
Registered
74 Posts
It seems like over green and white should read 100ohms (+/- 20)
Check the connections too while you're down there. I remember mine having a green layer on the plug. Although It ended up being the pulse generator anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info mate! Will check the pulse generator ASAP. Let you know if im on to buying another CDI. I will have to wait till monday before i know whether it could be this, as mates garage (where bike is) is in the welsh hills and im in a welsh town. And bike is the only transport i have at the moment. Gutted! Anyway thanks again much appreciated :)

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
if it is the pulsar ive got 2 here matey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Freewheel that spins around the pulser is damaged. Havent seen it myself yet. My mate will send me some photos tomorrow. This is what he has told me about the bike anyways. One of the bolts that sits in the freewheel has broken, and span around in there and caused all kinds of hell. The copper wiring is shredded to bits so gonna need a new one.

Pulse generator/stator part no:58439004000 Looks like i might need a new flywheel/freewheel too. Part no: 58439005100 So if anyone in the U.K has some these parts please PM me!

Thanks for the help and advce though guys. Much appreciated.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
thats common matey i fix a fair few like this, hopefully youl get used parts as new aint cheap. put a wanted ad up you may get lucky. il have a rummage as may have sumthing but no promises as cant rem exactly what ive got, cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts