KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:), am fairly new here (have been lurking) and need some help with my electric start. right when i push the start nothing happens, it was working but just stopped! i have checked the fuses and battery, theyre all fine. it will still kick start though! any ideas could the switchgear have gone?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Thats ya problem.

Depending on how long you have had this problem, you will need:

A new battery
A trickle charger

Your alarm will always suck power from the battery. Even if you use it every day it can still drain it to the point of no return.

If you dont use it for a few days.......well the problem gets worse.

Tip for future....

When cold, kick it first time till its warm.

Or

Pull the decomp, and kick the engine a few times to losen up the cold oil and get the cogs turning...this means less effore is needed from the starter motor / battery

Push the start in to get the starter turning and then drop the decomp...

Make sure its in N

Deffo get a bvattery and a charger....and look after it from then on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ell speaks the truth, (and thats rare for a scouser);) i had an alarm on my duke 2 happend all the time, my mate who i sold it to disabled it permenantly the other day as it was annoying hime so much

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sucks, i had a similar prob on my baby blade it would seem. you would have thought with all this tech about today they could have made one that doesnt do that!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Ell speaks the truth, (and thats rare for a scouser);) i had an alarm on my duke 2 happend all the time, my mate who i sold it to disabled it permenantly the other day as it was annoying hime so much
Thanks for that J......:rolleyes:

The kicking of the D2 was excellent training for my 560......first time every time...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just hooked it up to my workmates car to see if it would start from there but noting happened! also put a multimeter on it an it said the battery was ok! does this mean anything to anyone as im stuck what to do next? also it isnt clicking when i push the start but the lights amd the alarm are still working

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok another update, just bypassed the starter switch and it started first time! so i presume its the starter switch thats gone?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sounds like it!

When not bypassed, when pushing the button, does it sound like it tries to turn then gives up?

If it does, the battery is fucked.

If nothing happens, then the switch if buggered.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the switch doesnt make any noise at all, thats why i diddnt think it was the batt. looks like i will have to get a new/repair the switchgear then. ell tell, do you know a good online ktm shop, or anyone else for that matter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts