KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Only had my Duke a few weeks and noticed it stalls a lot under even moderately heavy braking.

Basically when I slow to a stop even moderately quickly, the revs die and I hear a 'click, click, click' and unless I give a fistful of revs it dies

Seems to ride/run fine in all other respects.

Is this normal? I've not ridden a non-fuel injected bike before - do I just need to give it more choke, let it idle higher?

But, that said even when I gave it more choke (so idling around 3k, just to test) and stopped quickly I get the same issue - basically seems to be when-ever the bike is pitched forward during braking it stalls

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Is it all a standard set up - or has some amateur tuning expert been fumbling around in the dark? Once the bike has warmed up to normal operating temp does it happen?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used to have a Husky Sm610 that did that. If I remember right, just raising the idle speed fixed it. It's so easy to do (properly, not with the choke), you might as well try it?

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
Fuel starvation

If it has acros or after market cans...mine did...get it on a dyno and poss rejetted...
Dont just up the idle..

BTW mine had carbon ackro's and the rare free flow Y piece...had a 180 (hommed) out needle

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've recently put Scorpion Cans on it, but from memory it was like that before too.

I don't think it's had any other mods done.

What does 'putting it on a dyno and rejetting' entail? is it something I need to go to a KTM dealer to have done?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just spoke to Clive at Tri-County - what a nice chap.

Gonna take it down there next weekend for a look see and a service.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I'm no Dyno expert but setting the bike up on a dyno run will make sure the fuel and carb is set at the right levels for your set up. Mr Tattoo is your man for explaining what a dyno is all about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah cool.

Tri-County Clive said on the phone that it might need 'rejetting' and setting up if that's the issue, obviously depending on seing that bike!

... knowing me it's probably somethign else born of my own stupidity...

Ah well, we'll find out in due course - basically I think the bike's been sat for a few months with little to no use

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
Yeah cool.

Tri-County Clive said on the phone that it might need 'rejetting' and setting up if that's the issue, obviously depending on seing that bike!

... knowing me it's probably somethign else born of my own stupidity...

Ah well, we'll find out in due course - basically I think the bike's been sat for a few months with little to no use
Mate dont panic...its deffo sounds like fuel starvation in the carb...mine done it in standerd setup.....a good run on dyno an rejet will cure it.....

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
until then ....... increase your tick over speed

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
check the breathers off the carb aint kinked blocked aswell

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so 'maybe' I just need to get used to riding a bike with a choke...

Maybe I've been giving it WAY too much choke and for too long...

Maybe I've been flooding the engine...

Maybe that's why it then stalls every time I come to a stop...

Maybe using just a small amount of choke to get it started is enough...

Maybe I should then turn it completely off...

Maybe that works fine... and maybe there's therefore nothing wrong...

...maybe I'm an idiot

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
Ok, so 'maybe' I just need to get used to riding a bike with a choke...

Maybe I've been giving it WAY too much choke and for too long...

Maybe I've been flooding the engine...

Maybe that's why it then stalls every time I come to a stop...

Maybe using just a small amount of choke to get it started is enough...

Maybe I should then turn it completely off...

Maybe that works fine... and maybe there's therefore nothing wrong...

...maybe I'm an idiot

Did you make a boo boo.... :)
Choke only needs to be on for a few mins...and i never used it at all on warm days lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts