KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature sensor on the rear left on my bike is blanked off.
I haven’t identified it anywhere else and this is where it is located according to the parts diagram
I’m trying to check if my fan works (fan does but need to check sensors) and the red warning light activation. Does this light up when ignition switched on?
Last week when it was a hot weekend the rad cap valve released some coolant and I never heard the fan cut in

·
Registered
355 Posts
you might have a temp sensor on the bottom right radiator, and possibly in the cylinder head back right (just next to one of the cylinder head bolts).
I had a 640 engine hat had a temp sensor in the back left just left of the intake, and the one back right next to c/h bolt was blanked off (I used it for bleeding the air when flushing the coolant).

the one back right was the light switch and only goes on when it reaches the temp marked on it. the fan went on when the temp sensor in the rad was activated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info
Yes I have one bottom of RHS rad, I’ve tested fan but will need to check rad sensor.
I’ll keep looking for the warning light sensor as maybe located elsewhere under the tank/panels

·
Registered
355 Posts
from the online parts manual the thermoswitch in the bottom RHS rad is activated at 98degrees (model 2004) and this one turns the fan on/off.
if you have a temp sensor left side next to the intake manifold then the right side is blanked off; this is the sensor for the dashboard warning light.

if the engine is drained of coolant you can remove the sensor on the back left of the c/h, connect it to the wiring loom and gently use a naked flame to heat up the feeler prong. then look at the dash if it lights up (ignition on of course). yes? then it works.

most electrical parts only work when the engine is running to supply the electrical power (for the fan for example). disconnect the cable from the rad switch and try to make a jumper so you can short the terminals in the connector. start the engine, put it on hot start (engine will rev higher, approx 4-5000rpm) then short the terminals. have somebody look at the fan or listen carefully for the fan. does it spin up?
put the hot-start off (back to low idle). repeat the shorting. does the fan turn? then it (also) works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks
I’ve no problem with the testing it’s just trying to find the temp sender for the warning light. Ill have to take the side panels and tank as I still can’t see one in the cylinder head still. I’ll also ask at my local KTM dealer if they were changed location etc, mines an 2005

·
Registered
355 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts