KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2012 690 duke, read the reviews and all sounds good, found myself a deal only thing is I've not ridden one! I loved my old 660smc and miss it will this give me the same grin factor?
the new bike is a long way away so travelling (nearly 400 mile round trip) just to test ride isn't really an option!
Any help appreciated

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Different bike all together in my opinion. The 2012 690 Duke is a street bike, it'll be more refined, smoother, less lairy and not a SM riding position.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fell in love with the look of this machine when it came out, more power and more torque than my old smc!!! i dont mind if it has a little better maners as it would be nice to be able to go a little further,
surely the race technology from last yrs euro jnr cup will filter down to road use so you can alter its behaviour, as long as i can still wheelie and stopie i`ll be happy lol

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
It can definitely wheelie and stoppie! The owner of the Derestricted blog has a tricked out Duke and he LOVES it!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've only gone and done it, ordered my brand new 690 2012 duke (last years model but brand new and a good deal) will run it in a standard and see how i get on with it from there, will have a look for the tricked out one thread see what advice he has for a ferro owner :cool:
Roll on summer i can't wait

·
Registered
3 Posts
You did well to find a new 2012 model in stock, I'd been told they were all sold. Any more available?
Otherwise, waiting for the prices and availability of the 2013 R or standard 690 Duke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys, I see they both have new ones listed on their websites.
P&H isn't that far from me, so I'll see if I can get a test ride.
I was thinking about an R, but at around £8.8k I think a discounted 'old year' 2012 would suit me fine :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You did well to find a new 2012 model in stock, I'd been told they were all sold. Any more available?
Otherwise, waiting for the prices and availability of the 2013 R or standard 690 Duke.
Yeah ordered it from Ams4ktm think they've got 1 or 2 black ones left, i was wanting a duke r but they're not out latter this year and well over 8k but found last years over 2k less than that so well pleased, get delivered on Friday just need a change in the weather,
Any idea what difference mechanically there is with the R? These are a true 690 and AMS said they could "spec one up to an R" if i wanted so that leads me to think not much mechanical difference if any!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah ordered it from Ams4ktm think they've got 1 or 2 black ones left, i was wanting a duke r but they're not out latter this year and well over 8k but found last years over 2k less than that so well pleased, get delivered on Friday just need a change in the weather,
Any idea what difference mechanically there is with the R? These are a true 690 and AMS said they could "spec one up to an R" if i wanted so that leads me to think not much mechanical difference if any!!!!
The specs say the weight and power are the same, so it's probably like the "6-day" model for the off-roaders - more bling. Can see in the pics the R has the Powerparts crash bars and clear airbox lid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The specs say the weight and power are the same, so it's probably like the "6-day" model for the off-roaders - more bling. Can see in the pics the R has the Powerparts crash bars and clear airbox lid.
I'm happy with that then, i can bling it up as i go, pretty sure the akro will be one of the first additions

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was interested in the new 690 Duke untill I saw one in the flesh, I'll stick to my 2008 model eny day.

If you see the new and the old models side by side you'll see what i mean................................but that's only my opinion!

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have new 2013 standard models available, and 1 2012 black 690 left.

The 690 Duke R are due March

RRP's are:

2013 690 £6795
690 Duke R £8795

AMS

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well I've only gone and done it, ordered my brand new 690 2012 duke (last years model but brand new and a good deal) will run it in a standard and see how i get on with it from there, will have a look for the tricked out one thread see what advice he has for a ferro owner :cool:
Roll on summer i can't wait
Well done and enjoy your bike. Only difference between the my12 and 13 models are the nicer wheels (imo) on the 'old' model.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well done and enjoy your bike. Only difference between the my12 and 13 models are the nicer wheels (imo) on the 'old' model.
I'm sure i will as soon as i get chance to ride it!!! It arrived late Friday nite and has been sat tucked up in the garage since :-( lol love the look of it tho and can't wait to get out on it, plan on changing exhaust and map at some point anyhow so won't be down compared to an R, will see what the brakes n handling are like before i decide weather or not to mess with them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts