KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike won't Start.

I have replaced ALL of the starting hardware. From battery to Starter motor.
Engine turns over, but not with enough gusto to get it to fire up.
Since All is new, can only conclude that the engine has increased resistance to turning over.
Any thought or recommendations would be most welcome.
Duke 690.
42,000km
Ridden for Sunday blasts.
Full service every 5000km.
Has DNA stage 2 Air filters plus Decat done.
Kevex closed loop dongle, but not the open loop one installed.
TIA, Mark.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the banana shaped thing on the side of the chain wheel, with the mechanism that goes inside, is the auto decompressor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys. Here in the Philippines, the spring eventually arrived from the usa.
Took the cover off to find that the spring was ok. But not the little leaver and shaft that it activates. The shaft was broken. So will order a new one. Looks like your answers where correct reasoning.
Managed to find all the bits of metal that made up the missing shaft. Lucky me!
20200410_190715.jpg

But also found one of these in the valve cover enclosure.
20200410_191159.jpg

Looks like something from the valves. Internal diameter about 1/4"
Have you any ideas as to what it is? Pictures below.
Need to check if this new loose piece was left out by my mechanic, and replaced or not!
Photo 1 bits of broken shaft.
Photo 2 short piece of tubular metal found in valve enclosure.
  • Under lock down here in Philippines. Looking forward to returning back to the UK and my 990 smt one day.
TIA Regards Mark.

·
Registered
437 Posts
second picture looks like a valve stem shim (for setting opening rocker clearance).
if you look at the valve spring caps, is any looking like its missing something between the spring cap and the rocker? if so that one might be missing what you see in the picture!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
second picture looks like a valve stem shim (for setting opening rocker clearance).
if you look at the valve spring caps, is any looking like its missing something between the spring cap and the rocker? if so that one might be missing what you see in the picture!

Yes, iI thought if was some thing to do with the valves. But thought the shims where more like a small round pill, this is a small tube . Internal diameter acout 1/4".

A valve collar, or guide? I have heard these terms, but dont know quite where to look or what to look for...

·
Registered
437 Posts
¼" is just over 6mm so it may well be a valve stem shim.
in my book a valve collet is used to connect the valve to the spring (always used in pairs for 1 valve), and the valve guide is the part where is moves through inside the head.
valve collets
valve guides

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have a photo of shim next to the mystery piece.
So I am still unsure as to what it actually is.
Any ideas anyone?
Found in valve enclosure, rocker box.
20200411_153450.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
ok, not a valve shim then.
if its hollow it could be locating dowel? can't find one in the online parts guide tho...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Looks like a needle bearing that goes on the end of the camshaft. Can't see the inside of it though. Is it smooth on the inside, or does it have tiny roller rods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like a needle bearing that goes on the end of the camshaft. Can't see the inside of it though. Is it smooth on the inside, or does it have tiny roller rods?
Hello there.
Its smooth on the inside.
Inside diameter about 6mm.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ah ok, picture is deceiving. Whats the external diameter of the auto-decomp shaft?
Whatever it is, I'd have though it must have been in the vicinity of the decomp failure point to get that dent in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah ok, picture is deceiving. Whats the external diameter of the auto-decomp shaft?
Whatever it is, I'd have though it must have been in the vicinity of the decomp failure point to get that dent in it.
Right.
But it is too big to fit on the auto decompression lever.
Also not shown in the online parts diagram.
So still mystified.

·
Registered
437 Posts
inside diameter just over 6mm I thought it would be a dowel for one one of the M6 screws.
just as Set thought maybe from auto deco unit but then again not listed in the parts.

does it actually belong to the engine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I
inside diameter just over 6mm I thought it would be a dowel for one one of the M6 screws.
just as Set thought maybe from auto deco unit but then again not listed in the parts.

does it actually belong to the engine?
I am beginning to wonder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts