KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted a bit of help deciding what bike I should get for my first A2 machine!, (A2 for UK 47BHP/32kW restriction) I dont mind which is easier to handle so please dont judge on easyness for beginners. now!, Do I get a 2013 Duke 390 with 4500miles on it for £3500 which is A2 legal oorrr do I get a 2012 Duke 690 with 8000 miles on it for £4500 which i then have to restrict to A2 ? both are pretty much mint looking and both have extras on them. but both have their cons and pros i just cant decide, any help would be amazing!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I've owned both and currently have a 690.

390 is smaller but comfy with it. But you really want a 15 model with slipper clutch and better fuelling. It's more revvy but a lot lighter. The standard rubber on the 15 is better too.

Overall I would buy a 390 as a new rider. But you can't argue the 690 is built better with better components

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou Weeksy,

that sounds good! and unfortunately the bike dealership I'm looking at dosent have any 15 models for sale :/ only the 2 previously owned 2012, 2013 dukes, and I think the weight of the bikes are good enough as is but thanks for the advice! and thats what I'm having a problem deciding about because, do I go for the 390 which is £500 insurance a year £39 road tax and £3500 price tag but less power/quality or do I go for the 690 which is £800 insurance £82 tax and £4500 price tag but better power/quality :/.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see im not sure about that as there are different factors like bike weight, RPM range etc etc etc so im confused haha and im about 5ft 6 ish and about 10-11 stone

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Just a quick comment - the 390 sounds a bit overpriced at £3,500 - a new 2016 model is only £4,549 before you start haggling ........ And you get the benefits of a brand new bike, 2 year warranty, breakdown assistance etc with a new bike.....

Gut feeling is that a 3 year old used one should be around £2,500 or thereabouts ........

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
This A2 licence thing , how do you prove the bike is the correct power after the restriction , does the insurance ask for some proof that it's been restricted , would the average cop if you got pulled for speeding say ....' hey sonny Jim lets get this bike to the dyno for testing as you were doing 40 in a 30 "

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had my 690 SMR restricted when I was 18, it was basically just a throttle stop plate on the throttle body. I'm not sure whether the new one is a map change or a jumper.

Personally if it meets the requirements i'd go for the bigger bike, I had to send a certificate off to my insurance to confirm it was restricted and when i was pulled going to the TT they didn't ask anything about the restriction.

If you did remove it worst case is if you have a crash and the insurance rep inspects it then you are fooked.

Reactions: Bollocks

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
i dont understand all the new licence stuff......... but......

if you are gonna get an "un restricted" licence.. why not go for the 690, then when you pass, get it de restricted, and you have a bike you are used to but with more power... like getting a new bike with out the hassle of buyiny it

but............ there is the fact that while it is restricted, it would be heavy than the 390, but have the same power

spose it depends on what you plan on doing in the future

Reactions: Bollocks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very true Pebble,
Yes I agree with you it is a bit pricey, and you are right there ill give you that, its just easier for me to get a second hand bike because its closer and cheaper than new and i mean its only got 4000 miles on it so no engine worries, plus aftermarket exhaust, fly screen, top box, hand guards plus other stuff and I still get a warranty on it, so I mean im probably saving quite a bit of money there :L but thanks for the advice and shizzle!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bollocks,
Im 20 this year and have been riding for 2 years, taking my A2 this week and then I still wont be able to get a bigger un-restricted bike until ive been riding for two years on A2 licence oorr im 24, still have to pay for another test so im just playing it safe at the moment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea the insurance ask for the installation certificate done by a mechanic/garage and the police could ask for it and even if you do have it they probably wont believe you and if they hate you enough they will take it to a test centre :/ not a very high chance but still dont want to risk my licence

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Crazy,
But the 390 is already A2 licence legal so im all good there! and the 690 can be de-restricted too! both are fine in the power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
very true Pebble,
Yes I agree with you it is a bit pricey, and you are right there ill give you that, its just easier for me to get a second hand bike because its closer and cheaper than new and i mean its only got 4000 miles on it so no engine worries, plus aftermarket exhaust, fly screen, top box, hand guards plus other stuff and I still get a warranty on it, so I mean im probably saving quite a bit of money there :L but thanks for the advice and shizzle!
Cool - I was assuming it was a standard bike so if it has a few nice extras on, it looks a it more reasonable !

Best of luck with whichever one you buy !

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
i dont understand all the new licence stuff......... but......

if you are gonna get an "un restricted" licence.. why not go for the 690, then when you pass, get it de restricted, and you have a bike you are used to but with more power... like getting a new bike with out the hassle of buyiny it

but............ there is the fact that while it is restricted, it would be heavy than the 390, but have the same power

spose it depends on what you plan on doing in the future
That's the most sensible thing he's ever said !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts