KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted either too a 1290?, have such on other bikes and they made a major difference to the bike and a big hole in my pocket just wonder about the same with mine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
They won't make any difference whatsoever. Not even on track. You have to run a pretty decent pace to notice it, and that's pretty much impossible on naked.

I had BST on BMW S1KRR and it's a waste of moneys, double waste when you crash, the wheels immediately become a write off

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have to disagree with the above - My Dymag UP7X wheels made a real difference to my RC8R. Make changes of direction at speed effortless so fast A and B roads. easily the best moneys I've every spent on an aftermarket mod. I wouldnt now r spending 2 grand on an exhaust before a set of wheels

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
There’s even a noticeable difference between cast and forged wheels. Unsprung weight does make a difference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you feel the bike isn't turning fast enough the step 1 is to sort your suspension. Maybe your front springs are too hard or parameters are completely mis-dialed.

Lots of people use cast wheels and run very decent pace on track.

CF wheels is the very very last option on shopping list.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Forged aluminium wheels would my choice

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received a set of Dymag UP7x for my bike today. They knock 650g off the front and 1.5kg off the rear when replacing the Marachini wheel that were on my 08 non R.
I am not the most rapid but I will post some initial thoughts once I’ve ridden the bike this weekend!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok - with 250 miles on the new wheels I can confirm they make a really noticable difference. The bike just feels lighter and drops into turns more easily.

I will say that it feels a little less planted but I guess that what happens when the bike reacts faster - I am sure a few tweaks to the suspension will give me that back

Overall very pleased!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With 3 bikes that have Dymags fitted and another with BST’s (Dymag were bust at the time) I know exactly how well they just wondered about preference.

But photos would be great.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I will say that it feels a little less planted but I guess that what happens when the bike reacts faster - I am sure a few tweaks to the suspension will give me that back
Weight equals plantedness. That's why the latest hyper power and super light bikes are appearing with fins or aerofoils fitted to them to create down force.

If you're going to take a lot of weight out of the wheels it's all well and good but it's even more important to have the suspension set up right so the bike's posture is correct and the front wheel is properly loaded. Even more so on a naked where the riding position and lack of areodynamics creates wind force which lightens the front end anyway.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I said in the other post been there done that before on other bikes, but GT has all this ESA shit on it, so the reality is there’s zero control over it apart from what pressing a button gives you, hence why I hesitate buying them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts