KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I know my 12 plate rc8r should be E10 compatible but I don’t trust it regarding tank paint bubbles which I know has been reported on eg a superduke. My local garage doesn’t intend to get 98 RON E5 ( which by the way is 50 p more expensive a gallon!). Do others risk E10?
Happy biking!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I may be wrong but unless you have forced induction on an engine then you should not be using super unleaded - does this help?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I will run E10 in my SD990 and 1190 Adv but will drain the tanks for winter storage, just to limit the exposure on the tanks.

I agree that engines designed to run on 95 should not be asked to run on 98 as I think that will delay burning and lead to higher EGT.

·
Registered
KTM RC8
186 Posts
E10 in some older vehicles will corrode the fuel system, and perish rubber lines. E10 can also absorb more water than E5, so that can sit or build up at the bottom of carb float bowls, rust metal tanks, and make it hard to start after a while standing.

All KTM models post 2000 are E10 compatible. Not all KTMs require super unleaded, but all can run it.

E5 is generally now only going to be available in super unleaded form, this will not damage an engine designed to run on standard.

Higher compression RC8R engines have an ECU setting to take advantage of super.

Forced induction tuned ECUs with knock detection and timing control run better and more powerfully on super, because they can advance the spark to just below the point of detonation.

In short, run super unleaded in RC8R models with higher compression, if set in the ECU as per the manual, or if you're concerned about tank swelling with E10, or corrosion on aluminium parts. If you're planning on laying the bike up for a while, a full tank of super, or draining fully would be the way to go.

Otherwise if the bike is in use, fill with E10 as the fuel system was designed for it, other markets have higher ethanol ratios than E10.

·
Premium Member
9,663 Posts
I wont be using e10. If ktm's are supposed to be able to run ok on ethanol, why has ethanol fuel degraded fuel lines? The stuff seems to rot everything if its in there for more than a few weeks. ............. ethanol is a completd liability imo.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Boring repetition but luckily we can still get E0 std unleaded from a series of privately owned local garages.
Off to get three jerry cans full this week as it lasts for ages.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 2009 RC8 definitely doesn't like E10 so have to use Super 🙄
Do I need to change mode in ECU?

They just want to increase the cost of fuel and get rid of older vehicles 😒

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Next year I might get my Superduke (990) re-remapped.
It's running rich I think. I always run with the exhaust baffle inserts in, and I'd like to do away with the power commander and instead have the map loaded straight into the ECU.

So.. this change in fuel type might be the excuse I've been looking for.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Depends on what you've got.

My 2009 RC8R (single spark) is only supposed to be run on super unleaded / 98Ron, so that's what I've always done.
Worth checking out your local esso station, their super unleaded is E0 ie 0% ethanol unless in certain parts of the country. They cannot brand it E0 so have to use E5 on the pump - info from here:

What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol
Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.
There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
My 2009 RC8 definitely doesn't like E10 so have to use Super 🙄
Do I need to change mode in ECU?

They just want to increase the cost of fuel and get rid of older vehicles 😒
You can't. that option is only on the twin-spark RC8R models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts