KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for the experts, but if you've wondered about doing your own work but were unsure, these jobs are easy with basic tools. If i can do it, a monkey can. Hope it's useful.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The one U used is obsolete it does not have the Bypass valve built in so when your cheap and nasty K&N filter collapses the engine is starved of OIL lubrication, by the way the Filter is made in China stopped using them in RC8R when replacing it the end cap came OFF when extracting it from the engine :poop:(n):rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one U used is obsolete it does not have the Bypass valve built in so when your cheap and nasty K&N filter collapses the engine is starved of OIL lubrication, by the way the Filter is made in China stopped using them in RC8R when replacing it the end cap came OFF when extracting it from the engine :poop:(n):rolleyes:
K&N are well respected. It was up to spec at the time and still works well. Think iv'e done 5,000 miles fully loaded in varying temps since that oil change. It's just not accurate to say it's the 'wrong filter'. by spec and by my experience, so i disagree.
Spend more ££ if it makes you feel better. Thanks for the fback, anyhoo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did say in the title, 'Not for the EXPERTS'. ?
I
think people will use whatever meets their own requirements in terms of parts. I've used K&N in a all my recent bikes, No issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Don't worry - Relax. I've done 0ver 4,ooo miles on this filter. It is the correct one when i fitted it.
They are still available from M&P and other known names. I've not heard about or read one FACTUAL report about the 158 destroying any engine. If you have factual links (not rumour or gossip), please post them, i'd be very interested to learn more. ?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Sporty, just ask yourself why would K&N upgrade, modify, re design a low cost oil filter?

2 reasons, cost cutting or because they've had reported issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Errr - To keep the R&D team in work and keep charging a little more. In 12 months the new part number will be redundant. If you have any factual links re damage post em up, i'd like to learn more.
BTW, if you wait a year, you can then post that the pads i used in my pad change vids are obsolete too.
? You clearly have an endless supply, so; how much for an 8 ball Mr I.Charlie ? ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, thank fk for that. I've been so worried i'd have to contact, email, telephone, visit every viewer and give them the bad news about the filter. It would take me ages. ? If you or anyone wants to chime in with genuine tech links to factual K&N horror stories that aren't rumour, click bait or gossip scaremongering, i'd genuinely be interested to read up and learn... ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sporty, I have no doubt that the filter you are using is fine. But I agree that if you are treating this thread as advice to other members, you should reference the currently specified filter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sporty, I have no doubt that the filter you are using is fine. But I agree that if you are treating this thread as advice to other members, you should reference the currently specified filter.
Agreed. And I think it's been done by others in this thread already. In the video i referenced what i used at the time, which is all i can do. In time - most every part will be redundant. There was a lot of confident comments asserting the K&N filter would destroy the engine, which to my knowledge is simply not factual.

I have added a small note in the description of the video on my channel: "Do check for the most currently available part of your choice''. Just in case people were unaware they could do that. ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts