KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SX has been road reg'd and been turned up so it ticks over at traffic lights.. but its going through a sparkplug every time i go out on it...............

What need doing so its sorted??????

AND ALSO....

As it only has 5 gears being an SX, what would be the appropriate toothed sprocket to put on it for more top end speed.. ???

·
Registered
409 Posts
By " turned up", I presume you mean tuned up ?. I would guess that your bike, being a motocrosser, does not like idleing at tickover , that it prefers having the tits reved off it. I suggest you try a clean plug and, when stopped at traffic lights, continually blip the throttle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its completely standard, the revs have just been turned up so it ticks over.. it actually seems its running too rich as every time i go out on it, it dies and the sparkplugs thick in oil ...

AND ALSO....

As it only has 5 gears being an SX, what would be the appropriate toothed sprocket to put on it for more top end speed.. ???

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Probably needing the jetting sorted out, I had a 250sx that I used for enduros, when I first got it the jetting was as per the manual but it ran very rich and fouled a plug every time out, after I sorted out the jetting it never fouled a plug again.

Try going up a tooth on the front sprocket, cheapest and easiest way to get a bit more topend

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Raise the clip on the needle a couple of grooves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice 1 im gona have a look into getting it jetted

iv ordered the 14 tooth front sprocket now too, hopefully it not smooth out the power too much because i like the power wheelies it does at the min :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
fouling plugs...i wonder why?

The answer to your problem may be in the other thread you posted on

"how much would 40:1 be in ml to 5 liters? i do 150ml to 5 liters of silkolene comp 2 fully synthetic?? .. "

100ml oil to 5 litres of petrol is 50:1 and ample :scooter: so you have 50% too much oil in the fuel :smokin:

The exhaust probably needs re-packing too :confused:

·
Registered
409 Posts
scotsy 100ml oil to 5 litres of petrol is 50:1 and ample [/QUOTE said:
I don't agree with this. If I was tearing up tarmac on a motocross bike, I would want more 2 stroke oil in my mixture than a 50:1 ratio gives

·
Registered
980 Posts
try and use a low ash 2 stroke oil and adjust your mixture for cruising

1 - 9 of 9 Posts