KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going backwards and forwards thinking about this, 300tpi or 500exc 2018/new.
North Wales do loads of green lanes want to cover loads of miles and trips everywhere , light weight, obviously, I'm going to want to tackle everything from tight and twisty hard offroad to boring road sections and enjoy every minute of it, light weight camping, tet uk and Europe. I currently have a 300rr and a yamaha xt660z tenere kitted out, I'm keeping that, the rr is well used and abused so I'm replacing it. 300tpi / 500exc. Opinions options and set me straight. 250 is not a option, 350/450 could be.
Cheers Andy.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The 500 will be better on the rd but if you are happy with the 300rr on the rd i would go for the 300 tpi

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I sold the 350. I thought a 690 would suit the bill, but they are still a bit heavy for me! So I went for a 500 as I bit of do it all, “ Sherco not ktm”. I’ve not used it much yet , but what I’ve done has been great so far. A mate is thinking of the 300, but I’m not sure how they will be on the road for long distance, but I’m sure they’ll be good off road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the problem completely different bikes, I hoped the big 660xtz would had made me stick with the 2t. Loads of guys do big miles on 2ts without any problems. Been in lockdown to long and to much thinking about it. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's the problem completely different bikes, I hoped the big 660xtz would had made me stick with the 2t. Loads of guys do big miles on 2ts without any problems. Been in lockdown to long and to much thinking about it. I appreciate the feedback.
I sold my 350 and do plenty lanes on my f650gs Dakar. I thought I’d be ok with one bike , but no chance, some lanes are just a bit to hard for a bigger bike ! I missed the lighter bike , you just get that bit more fun on the tricky stuff, and can do 50-60 easily on the road!
Dakar for The longer rides!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm keeping the xt660z, just want to replace my smaller enduro bike, but fancied somthing a bit better on the road, the beta is a good bike but not ideal for big miles due to vibration, it's a 18model and no counter balance shaft so the vibration is worse than the big single.

·
Administrator
8,429 Posts
I have had a 300, 350 and a 500. The 350 is the best all rounder. Its good on the lanes and has plenty of power, it can also do the road work. I felt the 500 was hard to turn and was always riding to conservatively as I felt of was too powerful. The 300 was a lot of fun but shit on the road and every now and then would bite back and put you on your arse.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a 250/280 conversion exc not enough guts for me, then got a xcf350 it was nice but allways pushed me to much could have been a gearing issue, the 300rr is amazing, will tractor up anything. Been to Spain and rode 19 plate a 350exc map switch removed and felt very slow and front heavy. I understand that the 350 is the most popular trail bike but, 3002t has to be the most fun, never rode a 500 so haven't a clue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I changed from 2006 RFS 400EXC to 2014 500EXC and hated it at first. The 3 changes that made me change my mind were: 1 cut down the seat, can now get both feet on the ground as per my 400. 2 proper TPS adjustment, power much smoother and not snatchy on low speed 2nd or 3rd gear trails. 3 Mapping switch, turn down the power in slippy conditions. .....and err No.4 was a big dose of MTFU!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Power map on 500 does make a big difference so there’s more power than 350 but it’s controlled in different environments.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
I loved my 300, but the maintenance chart on the bike space wall for the 300 was crazy long compared to the 4t's. Newer ones are probably less demanding though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rode a 450rfs also that was nice and smooth, yo old now though. My inside leg is 36" so height isn't a issue. 3002t ot 5004t is the issue. The 300 is £1000 cheaper new so I'm leaning towards a 2t but if a good 500comes up at the right price I could be persuaded.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I loved my 300, but the maintenance chart on the bike space wall for the 300 was crazy long compared to the 4t's. Newer ones are probably less demanding though.
I've had both and found them similar maintenance wise. Changing oil on the 2t every ride got loads of atf, oil on the 4t and filters is a faff then the valves is another pet hat of mine, nearly as bad as doing linkage bearings. Hence going ktm and not husqvarna 😂.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel the build quality of the ktm is better than beta, plus spares availability is far better with ktm. Also suspension on my bets isn't as good as ktm. Can't fault the engine or power delivery, set mine up perfectly with a xtrainer power valve spacer stock carb and 14:49 gearing. Just fancy somthing built better

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
I've had both and found them similar maintenance wise. Changing oil on the 2t every ride got loads of atf, oil on the 4t and filters is a faff then the valves is another pet hat of mine, nearly as bad as doing linkage bearings. Hence going ktm and not husqvarna 😂.
300 starter system needing regular repair renewal, repacking exhausts, taking bashes out of pipes, pissing about with jetting when taking bike to europe (elevation) and keeping fingers crossed that its not going to shit itself on road sections ........

The 300 was like a high maintenance girlfriend ...... fun, but ...........

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I ride a mates 500 occasionally and it's can be a bit of a beast in very technical stuff but for everything else it's a great bike will sit happily on the road and very capable off it.. couldn't be arsed with a smoker for any extended road use no matter how good it is off road... would be ok if you were doing 20% road but otherwise four stroke for me

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
After years and years and years of 4 strokes big and small, I now have a TE 300i, I always hated the vibration and hunting of a 2 stroke but these modern TPI‘s are so smooooooth and responsive no sudden surprises just lovely usable linear power and loads of it, you can either make it pull like a tractor or rev like a banshe.
They are smooth on the road and with the ease of maintenance over a 4 stroke, well it’s a no brainier.
obviously this is only my opinion, but it matters 🤣

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After years and years and years of 4 strokes big and small, I now have a TE 300i, I always hated the vibration and hunting of a 2 stroke but these modern TPI‘s are so smooooooth and responsive no sudden surprises just lovely usable linear power and loads of it, you can either make it pull like a tractor or rev like a banshe.
They are smooth on the road and with the ease of maintenance over a 4 stroke, well it’s a no brainier.
obviously this is only my opinion, but it matters 🤣
Im still pondering. I don't want to miss the 2t and I have a big 4t so I guess it's just choose the right bike for the right day.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Im still pondering. I don't want to miss the 2t and I have a big 4t so I guess it's just choose the right bike for the right day.
I did that and kept my EXC350, but never used it in the end, so in the end after 6 months I sold it
I May have got lucky but I’m really enjoying my 2 stroke, I’m even learning how to wheelie it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts