KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
If you want a 2t either the 250 or 300 and gear it for slightly faster road work, if you are going to consider a 4t get the Yamaha WR 259 with the ackro pipe and adjustable programmable map, balance the front wheels in any dirt bike for road use and off you go

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds to me you still need two bikes.

Tight and twisty hard off-road and travelling the U.K./Europe don’t really go together in one bike. You‘ll be compromising each way.

there’s no way I’d sit on my 300 for many hours. The 500 will sit for hours with the right gearing however not very good on tight twisty stuff as too powerful and tiring.

the 350 I had was somewhere in the middle of what you are looking for however I still think using an exc for road work will end up constantly maintaining as the service intervals are so low compared to a road biased off-roader.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you want something to ride around on the TET get an 1190. Nice and comfy. I wouldn't waste my 500 on it.

And the 500 is fine in the tight and twisty stuff. You just need to get used to it and practice (like anything). I'm just back from the enduro track which is 10km of very tight and twisty mainly through forest. Rocky, rootsy, very muddy when wet. And I'm a) crap, b) an old fart, and c) still recovering from a dislocated shoulder (the 1190 did that), so my upper body strength is shite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the same conundrum.

I had a 2015 KTM 500 EXC 6 days for two years and approximately 130 hours.

Loved it. Took it out to the sand dunes and into rocky ravines and mountain climbs. Hauled it in my trailer. Never rode to off road areas.

Had to sell it for reasons - knew I'd regret it and continue to do so.

This year I decided to get another 500 EXC.

But I've always wanted a two stroke and KTM's fuel injected make it appealing.

But I feel I'll ultimately regret a smaller-displacement two stroke over a large-displacement non-two stroke.

A lot of people talk about abrupt/instant/linear power from a two stroke - and it makes sense seeing as its a two stroke.

But the qualm I have and need to understand - seeing as I cannot try a TPI KTM - is whether:

Abrupt 300cc TPI is better than sheer power of a 500 cc?

I'm 27 years old, 188 cm tall and weigh 80 kg if that matters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm the other way, my 300rr is amazing, as said power straight from twisting the throttle, mines tamed down a little for more tourqe, once on the trails I wouldnt ride anything else, but having loads of time to think about what I intend to do has me baffled. I'm waiting for the big discount offers and see what's best. I've rode 250/350/450 4ts and they arnt as much fun for me. Never rode the 500 so I haven't a clue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts