KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me if I can use 2005 450exc engine cases to rebuild an 03 525exc engine??
stripped my engine and found cases have been damaged and badly repaired sometime in the past.
Not sure on best course of action yet? Engine was running ok but I decided to strip it because of small bronze flakes in the oil on last couple of changes and now found this lot

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Looks like it has had a dramatic filure and punched through into the gearbox. Its not a big deal as there is a window to allow crankcase pressure and a bit of oil to splash into the box anyhow.

Cylinder shows signs of bearing particles scoring the bore, I bet the big end has gone... thats where the bronze came from.

Yes, 05 cases will work, but you need to fit a sleeve to the swingarm pivot as its bigger in 05.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what to do now, How much am I looking at to get bore sorted?

if it was just big end and new piston i would rebuild it but now cases and bore are damaged. (I can't remove oil pump shaft with cases bolted together its that damaged) I'm thinking of breaking bike and putting rebuild money to buy something else with a good service history??

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Are you pulling the shaft from the clutch side?

Replate is about £140 plus post each way.

I wonder what failed in the past because the piston, cylinder and rod have marks on them so they were re-used. Maybe a balancer shaft bearing broke up?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes pulled it from clutch side and you can feel shaft pushing to one side as you try and draw it out. Also there is over 1mm axial play on rod when its all built up, haynes states 0.15mm I think? so is that something else that wants looking at?

I'm looking at a grand plus for rebuild by my reckoning and wondering if its worth it for a 2003 bike although bike itself is pretty good as I've been through it and sorted owt that wanted doing.

Balancer shaft bearing sounds likely, as you said they re-used everything else.

one last thing, cases I've seen on ebay are £250 or offers am I likely to find any cheaper cos there doesn't seem much about.

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
Its unusual to see cases with intact numbers on ebay ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts