KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a small problem with my Adventure. (2008 990 S) Whilst on a 100 mile run with some mates last week, the lass started to loose power over about 5k rpm, then 4k, then 3k rpm, finally dying.:eek:

Engine wasn't over heating 4-5 bars, thermostat and fan working fine, coolant/oil level fine etc. Did notice that when I opened the left tank to check gas amount, there was a sucking whoosh sound. After that she started fine again and continued on as normal for about 15 minutes, same again. Filled up the tank to brim at the next station, no more problems to home. Do you think I have blocked breather ports on that side, or is there something more sinister involving the fuel lines, or fuel pump or fuel filter?:confused:

(As a background, she can sit un-ridden for up to a week or ten days at a time, as I'm quite busy building a new house over the last few months and don't have time to take her out so often....maybe sulking?!!):rolleyes:
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
As said,sounds like someone has blocked the fuel tank vent pipe on the 'second tank'. The first tank(with the pump inside) would have allowed you to ride approx 60-80miles but the second tank wouldn't have been emptying into the first tank hence 'running out of fuel' and coming to a stop. Undoing the second tanks fuel cap would've allowed the fuel to flow into the first tank or at least some which got you going until you refuelled. After this you have run on one tank again to home.

If you filled the tanks when you fuelled up and haven't opened the fuel caps,have a look which tank is still full and that is the side you need to work on.(remove side fairing and unkink the pipe).

My theory anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info guys, haven't had the tanks off ever, but the fuel over here (or at least the crap in it), that & dust from the road near my house, is a definite suspect. Bike will be covered in future after this, when not in use.Thanks again, will check everything thoroughly at my local mechanics, this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts