KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've noticed that there could be something wrong with my 8 and especially with the Engine. :confused:

For my feeling it suddenly is not running that smooth (noticed it after 2 track sessions) ..... the engine makes more noise (I can hear it 'ticking' now, normally I only hear the Akra), it seems like there is more vibration in the bike and at some revs it feels like it has less power. :frown:

sound familiar to someone or any ideas what it could be ??
have to wait till Tuesday to be able to go to the dealer.

thanks for the responses

·
Registered
799 Posts
Check valve clearances (they give more power with slightly larger gaps as it was shown that power drops off a little with standard gaps when hot) also check operation of cam chain tensioner's and also check clutch pack for ware, other than that not much else to look at, the RC8 motor does ware liners at the top but I doubt that is the problem, just for the record a good tech can check with a bore scope to see if the nickle is in good order with out stripping the motor, he needs to look at the very top of the liners but as I said this will not make noise (well not ticking).. Prob just needs valve adjustment..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I must admit that from new I have found that mine seems noisy and a little ticky, but once warmed up to around 70 degrees, and then riding it for about five minutes it seems quieter and smoother. I just put it down to being a big V-twin. Does this sound familiar to other people here?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check valve clearances (they give more power with slightly larger gaps as it was shown that power drops off a little with standard gaps when hot) also check operation of cam chain tensioner's and also check clutch pack for ware, other than that not much else to look at, the RC8 motor does ware liners at the top but I doubt that is the problem, just for the record a good tech can check with a bore scope to see if the nickle is in good order with out stripping the motor, he needs to look at the very top of the liners but as I said this will not make noise (well not ticking).. Prob just needs valve adjustment..
Thanks .... valves also crossed my mind .... well off to the dealer then to know for sure.

Found it a little bit strange that the first 2 sessions it run perfect en from the 3th session I've noticed it. Nothing happened that could explain this.
Did a ride today to test and could compare it good because I did the same road last week.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think they are a little noisy, nothing to worry about, just a mechanical engine making mechanical noise...
I think if the motor is used on track then regular checks and oil changes are a must as with any track engine, the RC8 motor (as I often say) is easy to work on, very simple engine and KTM have good 1,2,3 instructions on how to check and service it..
If I remember in my workshop I will post up clearances used in the cup last year.. :)
Arthur.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Oh, and what did you think? :)

I don't have an RC8 but I did have load of an R once, I loved it.. Oh and I looked after one of the cup bikes last year...just in case you wondered why you were getting advice from some [email protected] that don't even have a RC8...lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
sorry to hijack this - Arthur what's your recommendations on oil changes for one used pretty much for trackdays - how often?

Ta

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi mate, I guess it depends on how hard you ride, for the races we changed oil and filter each race as they do in all classes, its a tricky one to answer as I don't know how hard the bike is used and for how long each session, I guess when you look at say the advanced groups you could double that and so on..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey mate thanks for that.

so a typical track day of 3 sessions in the morning - 4 in the afternoon of 20 minutes each. 2 days on track and about 160-180 miles for a 2 day event (thegodfather just did le mans as well maybe he logs miles better than I do). I guess I run a reasonable rate on track - not the quickest and not the slowest sort of middling I reckon.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sounds fair mate, the cup lot thrashed the death out of the RC8's last year and none went pop (that I know of) so I would say the motors are sound, ok ok they have the odd little bug but what don't..

I think your on the case.. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi mate, just been reading about you spannering in the RC8 cup and was just wondering if you have any info about racing the RC8. Ive just bought an 08 RC8 after racing an 08 R1 superstocker for 2 years. My level of riding is around the 1.27's at croft, 1.36's cadwell, 56's at mallory so not the fastest but not the slowest. Things like gearing charts, tips, mods, contacts / numbers etc etc etc. Anything would be great. I've spoke to some dealers and they just want to sell me stuff.

Lee

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went to the dealer today ... but they couldn't hear anything strange, one of the mechanics also did a small test ride and didn't notice anything irregular.
Connected the bike to the Diagnostic System ... no faults.

strange ... perhaps it is in my head, but I still have the idea the engine is a little bit louder as before and doesn't run that smooth.
especially accelerating from low revs I have the feeling that that there is more vibration in it.

The only thing I did was run the first track session with the baffler in it. Could it be that this 'burned' the inside of the Akra and it needs a repack ?
The bike has about 5000miles on it now and never been repacked ... Do you guys think that would be a good idea to do anyway ?
Or will I not notice any difference after it's been repacked ?

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
The baffle won't cause any probs mate, I've run with baffle fitted on a quiet trackday and also on the road for several thousand miles

I repacked my Akra around the 10,000 mile mark I think. I can't remember what KTM/Akra recommend for service intervals for normal use... for race use they state repack after every race

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The baffle won't cause any probs mate, I've run with baffle fitted on a quiet trackday and also on the road for several thousand miles

I repacked my Akra around the 10,000 mile mark I think. I can't remember what KTM/Akra recommend for service intervals for normal use... for race use they state repack after every race

Thanks Tony, besides the reason to do it because it's recommended, did you notice any difference after it was repacked ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to 2 dealers and let them listen to the engine ... both stated that it sounds normal .. so that's good to hear (especially between the ears)

What I did do, after reading some older topics, was adjust the chain tension, which was a little bit loose.
This made a big difference in feel ... less noise and a quicker response on the gas.

So probably this was the issue in combination with the exhaust which I still will repack in the off-season and also get a Pipercross air-filter.

conclusion ... I'm happy/ier with my 8 again :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts