KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... Yet ANOTHER oil thread.. :wanker:

My round.. What you havin? ;)

Its lil different this time though. I've just had a rebuild on my 625. Rehoned barrel and new conrod in there too. I'm sure I've seen someone mention using mineral oil in new engines AND in rebuilt engines, run that for 500 miles or so, then drop it and dump some fully synth in. Any science behind this? Or is it just opinion?

Thanks boys!

·
Premium Member
31,559 Posts
Synth is too slippy, so parts cant bed in.

Run it for 50 miles, change, 500 miles, change to your normal oil.

·
Premium Member
31,559 Posts
Cheap mineral oil with no additives is best.

·
Premium Member
31,559 Posts
I like to change the oil and clean the screens after a couple of heat cycles and a short run, gets rid of the assembly fluff before revving the motor. No need to change the filters.

Then once its run in, say 100 miles off road or 500 miles road, change oil to fully synth and change filters. Try to get as much oil as possible out the motor to get rid of the mineral oil.

·
Registered
148 Posts
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I have just run in my new DRZ440 engine using the method in this link including the 10-40 mineral car oil. I rode my 950 SMR as mentioned in it but with the oil supplied. No subsequent problems with either. DRZ running great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts