KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I guess hellos are in order, me being a newbie in the forum and this being my first post 'n all....so hi ;)

I have only recently purchased my 950 Adventure and I would like to think that I did quite a bit of research before splashing the cash but as common a problem as it is I hadn't read about the clutch slave issue. :S

I still have the stock one fitted at the moment and whilst its a bit clunky going from neutral into first when cold it hasn't given me any jip in the 1000 miles I have covered in the first month of having it.

First of all then, what would you do in this situation? Should I replace it anyway or wait till it breaks? Also would you go for and why, Evoluzione or Oberon?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Go for the Oberon they are British and cheaper than the Evoluzione thingy. I got the Oberon (KTM orange of course) and is an good or better the Evoluzione thingy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for the Oberon they are British and cheaper than the Evoluzione thingy. I got the Oberon (KTM orange of course) and is an good or better the Evoluzione thingy.
I put the same post on advrider.com and the feedback was go for the Evo but with a more US of A centric audience and Evo being American that's not that surprising.

If there is no difference in quality the cost has to be a factor, cheers riderbob ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
i put on an evo....just because the oberon wasn't available at the time. replace it now before the stock fails and leaves you stranded!!!

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I've got the Evo one fitted, I also had the Oberon one (long story :rolleyes: ) both work as well, having said that the Evo one has been around quite a bit longer and has a proven track record.

But the Oberon one is well made, British and a lot easier to get hold of.

You pays your money and you takes your chance ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Replace it with an Oberon now!

I followed the advice of many others on here and did so myself, having been told my stocker was on the way out.

Orderd the Oberon - got great service from a great British company. Easy to fit (even for a muppet like me), looks fab and definitely gives a much smoother, better clutch action than the standard item.

£100 well spent IMHO :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Oberon is better finished and there's a wide choice of colours. Oberon also make an aluminium spacer - that fits between the slave and the engine - to replace the poor plastic OE item. It prevents unwanted movement of the slave while the clutch is actuated. It's not yet on their website, so you'll need to ask if you're interested.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oberon also make an aluminium spacer - that fits between the slave and the engine - to replace the poor plastic OE item. It prevents unwanted movement of the slave while the clutch is actuated. It's not yet on their website, so you'll need to ask if you're interested.
Foreigner, have you tried the spacer? From what I understand, the crappy plastic spacer is half to blame for the slave cylinder failures, allowing the piston to actuate at weird angles when the spacer gets hot (or something). The other half of the problem is that the cylinder is fundamentally crap in it's design :rolleyes:

So the ally one should solve part of the problem...I just wonder if KTM made it plastic for a reason (other than cheapness!!!) or if the ally one offers nothing but advantages :confused: Any more info?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Oberon is better finished and there's a wide choice of colours. Oberon also make an aluminium spacer - that fits between the slave and the engine - to replace the poor plastic OE item. It prevents unwanted movement of the slave while the clutch is actuated. It's not yet on their website, so you'll need to ask if you're interested.
I ordered the Oberon one over the weekend after the feedback from you chaps but not the ally spacer. I will be on the blower to them in the morning to ask about it as you are right Foreigner, it's not on the site.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I just wonder if KTM made it plastic for a reason (other than cheapness!!!) or if the ally one offers nothing but advantages :confused: Any more info?
The plastic one would insulate the clutch slave/fluid more from the hot motor...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Foreigner, have you tried the spacer? From what I understand, the crappy plastic spacer is half to blame for the slave cylinder failures, allowing the piston to actuate at weird angles when the spacer gets hot (or something). The other half of the problem is that the cylinder is fundamentally crap in it's design :rolleyes:

So the ally one should solve part of the problem...I just wonder if KTM made it plastic for a reason (other than cheapness!!!) or if the ally one offers nothing but advantages :confused: Any more info?
Yes, I've covered a few thousand miles in high temperatures (high 30s) with the ally spacer, and it's been fine.

Yes, the original slave is a bad design. Bad points include:

One seal - less resistant to wear and fluid pressure. Plus skewing of piston occurs more easily than a longer piston with two or more seals would allow.
Not ideal type of seal - O-rings funnel pressure.
Mounting points not central to piston - causes twisting.
Only two fixings - three would have been better
Fussy as to fluid used - a better choice of materials in both the slave and master cylinders would have reduced the amount of failures due to incorrect fluid.
Weak piston - early version.

I can't think of any reason why KTM and/or Magura decided to use plastic rather than aluminium, other than cost.

Temperature at the slave is no higher than other parts of the engine, and well within the range of the materials used, including the fluid.

I don't expect the ally spacer will solve the problem with the KTM slaves; just improve the design in conjunction with the Oberon slave.

I replaced the spacer because I could see slave moving when I operated the clutch. That's not good.

I see that KTM are using Brembo slaves on their latest (Husaberg) bikes. I wonder if KTM will continue using Magura on any of their newly designed models.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good point Mooky re heat insulation, not sure it's enough to stop me going ally tho.
I'll be back onto Oberon sometime soon me thinks - Foreigner's most convincing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done now and fitted. Pisses all ove the other one!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hope you ordered the orange one, Mav. They work brilliantly..and look great :D:D:D

The bike definitely goes faster now!! ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hope you ordered the orange one, Mav. They work brilliantly..and look great :D:D:D

The bike definitely goes faster now!! ;)
Damn Right!! It looks sweet!! :D

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Done now and fitted. Pisses all ove the other one!!
Sounds like you've not fitted it right then ;)

Might have to get an Oberon one myself because they are rather nice - although my bike's a bling free zone, so it can't be the orange one :burp:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL.

Sometimes you need to embrace your gangsta and go bling ;)

Her, herm, sorry, don't know where that came from?! Besides mine is grey and the accents of Orange look sweeeet :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts