KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a continuation of a previous problem I had of my bike fouling plugs! I've recently drained the tranny fluid and found there to be only 350ml in there instead of the required 800ml. :eek: And the :wanker: previous owner has cross threaded the oil drain bolt! The bike has been running incredibly smoky. I was wandering if defective piston rings could be pulling tranny fluid up into the combustion chamber. Or whether fragments of the thread (from the cross threading) have blown out a crank case seal? Any help and advice would be wicked. Thanks......

·
Registered
146 Posts
x2 crank seal, an easy way to check this is put some castrol r in the gearbox, start the bike and if it smells of castrol r (lovely) it is definatly the crank seal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've never smelt castrol r! can defective rings also cause tranny fluid to be sucked into the combustion chamber?

·
Registered
242 Posts
the tranny fluid would have to pass the crank seals first before getting past the rings into the combustion chamber. defective rings will let oil get passed them, but for the oil to be there in the first place it would have to pass the crank seals.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Crank seals... I did some digging a while back as I was getting paranoid after doing the output shaft seal, if you take the genny cover off and its full of crap that loks like old 2T mix then the seal's gubbed. Good chance the other side will be too but you need to take the clutch off so you'd be as well to to the seals regardless. Cant check from the bore either, I tried and nearly got a £20k fibrescope stuck in the engine of a £1k scrambler... :wanker::redface:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts