KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want it for enduro and maybe the odd MX day.

Not sure which to get. I used to race MX on a 125 but i want a 4 stroke. I know the 450 will be more power but the 250 is less weight and id have thought more nimble but i thought id come along and see if any of you guys ride/have road either or both bikes and what your impressions are.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
450 every time for me, less effort to ride and more power. no discernable weight difference really. only thing with a 450 is they can be a bit of a handfull if you are tired. twist and it WILL go with or without you where a 250 unless you are in the right gear it will bog down.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I like the short stroke 450. SX/SMR motor. Feels much lighter than the EXC lump cos less weight spinning about inside the cases.

True multi purpose bike, MX/enduro/road/SM it does it all very well. No good in the woods when you are in you were born in the 1950's and your mates have 250s though ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seen a few boys race them at club level MX, they done alright, and i noticed alot of 250's and 400 in the D2D the other day... unless your a full on Knighter, most people have bikes that have way to much power for their ability, 400 to me the best alrounder by a long shot...for a fat bloke anyway.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
The 400 is really aimed at the trail rider. they have the same (or very similar) chasis to the 450 so there shouldnt be any reason why they couldnt do well in mx but I've always had a soft spot for the 450 so it gets my vote!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
450 are a cool machine, but will tire you out after a hard day, 450 and 400 have the same bore but the 450 has a longer stroke, suit you! 400 revs better and has less gyro effect so bike leans better, making falling off less painful.. i am 400 bias, like yourself, have a soft spot for them..

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the short stroke 450. SX/SMR motor. Feels much lighter than the EXC lump cos less weight spinning about inside the cases.

True multi purpose bike, MX/enduro/road/SM it does it all very well. No good in the woods when you are in you were born in the 1950's and your mates have 250s though ;)
I did think about the SX but i like the idea of 6 gears... Dont ask me why just what im used to i supose and always see 4 as bein too wide apart

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay i reckon the 450 wins. Will be less of a power drop from the 525 although its gona be offroad so abit more effort than the SM.

Now thanks to Kev :rolleyes: I got the decision of do i stick with my plan of gettin an EXC or do i get the SX.

Well i got another 2 months to decide so lots of thinking

Cheers for everyones opinons

·
Registered
298 Posts
250 exc all day long if your an average rider. when the 450 wont start in the middle of some bog and the battery goes flat then tell me there better.. and there to heavy got to much power for average joe

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
ASBO, I would consider the sx450, even though it only has 4 gears. they are perfectly spaced to be honest, I used to race MX and enduro on mine without a problem. Basically speaking for the majority of mx tracks you can set off in 2nd and ride the rest of the lap in 3rd (unless there is a really long straight then click into 4th) After that when I had the 250f I found I was forever in the wrong gear hence I found it a little frustrating to ride and couldnt concentrate so much and got tired more quickly.

as far as 4 gears goes, I suspect KIY could sort it out as a 6 speed g/box if it really bugged you!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
get a husaberg fe 450 you wont regret it i can tell you!!! starts on a button, never let me down!! all orange bike's will be going fuel injected some time soon all of my friends were sceptical about it but 100 hours 2000 miles and it's never missed a beat, i loved my exc 450/08 model and when i went to Cornwall earlier in the year i rode an exc 250 2t what an awesome bike it was like cheating light electric power a real race weapon in the right hands, but i got back on my berg and loved it it's just personal choice really the 250 if your an average rider with average fitness will be better but if your very fit and can ride a 4t hard I'd take the 4 t.....there the future till direct injection 2 t come out in the next few years.....and they are coming !!! and i'll be going back 2t but until that day it's husaberg all the way it really is that good m8

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
get a husaberg fe 450 you wont regret it i can tell you!!! starts on a button, never let me down!! all orange bike's will be going fuel injected some time soon all of my friends were sceptical about it but 100 hours 2000 miles and it's never missed a beat, i loved my exc 450/08 model and when i went to Cornwall earlier in the year i rode an exc 250 2t what an awesome bike it was like cheating light electric power a real race weapon in the right hands, but i got back on my berg and loved it it's just personal choice really the 250 if your an average rider with average fitness will be better but if your very fit and can ride a 4t hard I'd take the 4 t.....there the future till direct injection 2 t come out in the next few years.....and they are coming !!! and i'll be going back 2t but until that day it's husaberg all the way it really is that good m8
Not got the money for the newer Bergs with fuel Inj... My budget is gona be about 2.5k-3k at tops.

Fitness isnt an issue, im fit as it is for my job but when im doing a sport i like to train harder and be in top peak. Im a physical training instructor, although thats not my main trade.

I'll give the SX a thought. I never realy had a problem with the gears on my 2 stroke when i was racing that but admitedly there was the odd once or twice when i was in too high a gear on the corners. Like i say got plenty of time to decide and get other peoples opinons.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I want it for enduro and maybe the odd MX day.

Not sure which to get. I used to race MX on a 125 but i want a 4 stroke. I know the 450 will be more power but the 250 is less weight and id have thought more nimble but i thought id come along and see if any of you guys ride/have road either or both bikes and what your impressions are.

Cheers
Hi David, wait few weeks and do THE KTM CENTRE Enduro Try Day with us ;)
We did that last year and was good fun, You get to choose two bikes and third to test if you lucky.
I'm booked for 250 exc and 300 xc :smokin:

Welcome to All that is KTM and Husaberg 01442 255272

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi David, wait few weeks and do THE KTM CENTRE Enduro Try Day with us ;)
We did that last year and was good fun, You get to choose two bikes and third to test if you lucky.
I'm booked for 250 exc and 300 xc :smokin:

Welcome to All that is KTM and Husaberg 01442 255272
Mate id love to but im gona still be stuck out here. I dont return to Germany till the start of Nov then wont be able to get to the UK till around mid/end of Nov

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Brother if your only spending up to £3000 then go for the 2 t

1 - 20 of 28 Posts