KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to look at a 250 2t at the weekend, its an 08 with 116 hours on it.A few questions if you dont mine?:

1) What sort of hourage do they require rebuild etc
2) Could someone please give me a list of things to check for when looking the bike over / listening to the engine..?

Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Depends how hard it gets used. For top end rebuild, the manual says every 40hr for pro use, or every 80 hour for hobby use. If it's been used by a little old lady to go shopping, then 200 or so should be fine... :)

Regarding noises, you need to be familiar to how a good one sounds. The small-end does rattle when it's worn and you may get a bit of piston slap if the piston's worn, but there are a few noraml mechanical noises anyway - that's why you need to know what to look for. Best you bank on changing the top-end anyway, which you will every year or so, and look at the condition of the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
sorry to hijack, but what is meant by a top end rebuild. Is it pistons and rings etc...does this not add up to around £1k in a garage?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the bike im going to look at with 116 hours is probably way overdue a top end rebuild - a bargaining point me thinks !

·
Registered
40 Posts
To quote a conversation with service at et james when I was looking to buy a 250 exc,'' at 90 hrs we strip them and they very rarely need more than a set of rings'', and having met some more lads with exc's most have said the same , if they have been looked after the service schedule is a guide not set in stone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts