KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking at geting an EXC300 (my first KTM) and would like peoples opinion. Is it a good H&H bike? would I be better off with a EXC250? Whats the main difference etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

(I curently have a YZ 250 but it is just too snappy for the woods etc)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
987 Posts
wouldnt a gearing change help with the YZ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
continuous power on the 300 mate... made me a bit smoother, plus its got two different power setups...good for woods.

·
Registered
181 Posts
both great bikes.
IMO the choice is about how you ride. the 250 to me is more of a racers bike, it spools up faster and is not so brutal on the top as the 300, so if you are a "revver" and ride "125" style the 250 may be better.

on the other hand, if you like the torque of a 4t and like to lug along and let the motor do the work riding a gear high the 300 may be a better choice.

i went fro the 300 as i like the 4t style lugging (came from a 4t to the 300 and wont go back)........ but if you want merry hell to break lose its there.
very easy to tune the motors how you want, as well as the ignition mapping reffered to above you have the powervalve springs and adjuster as well as jetting to play with without spending anything at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

I don't have a huge amount of experience of riding different bikes so i can't criticise other bikes too much, but i can tell you as kt51 said, the bike has bags of torque, which helps on climbs and technical sections, bags of grip until you reach the power band, when the bikes starts singing it really comes to life, if you ever get bored of the power then you can change the power valve spring to make it totally mental, but the regular setting certainly suit's enduro riding.

Awesome bike, try one if you can!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hiya, like others, my only experiance is the 250 exc and the 300 exc, both great bikes, just the 300 is abit better. When my 300 arrived the gearing was slightly low at 13 : 50 ,, changed it to 13 : 49 helped smooth the power and extend the gear reach. The 300 allows much less gear changes, you can slow off more in a gear and dump the throttle and the bike will pull away. The 300 is however slighlty on the thirsty side and a larger tank is money well spent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts