KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably be covered but since ive moved to the dark side .....EXC300 , 2011

NOT STARTING ON THE BUTTON..................................but starts first kick from stone cold !!!!

Things done
Bought and fitted the stronger starter
Cleaned all conections
Changes starter relay
Fully charged lithium battery
Engine spins VERY EASY and normal with plug out

So i'm at a loss 馃槩

Registered
Try tapping the kill switch whilst it's turning over on the starter, sounds weird but is a common solution, probably something to do with ignition timing. If the starter isn't turning over quick enough, fitting the lower geared Freeride bendix and crown wheel is an option. I slightly lowered the compression on the base gasket to smooth it out, side benefit being it starts better. Mine works faultlessly tapping the kill switch with the bigger starter, lower compression and freeride parts, but that's a few quid to spend on an older bike. KTM didn't get it right first time around.

Registered
Check the bushings that the bendix and crown wheel sit in. They are shit quality and wear out very quickly. Low cost and worth changing anyway if the bike is new to you. Helps reduce friction in the starter system and you can end up with damage to the cases if the bushes wear through.

This will show you how to do it:

Registered
Get 2015 and on bendix and flywheel. Everything (inc bushes) last longer with the wet mod / breather mod. Take cover off starter and waterpeoof grease it where the drive exits. Stops water getting in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
@ C M ....kill switch thing didn't work , but cheers for the idea

@ R H .....will do

@ ship.....sounds a dear do and are you sure they fit straight in ?

One other thing after 4 or 5 dabs on the button its killing batteries , even the booster pack thing is dead after 2 or 3 goes

Registered
You state that the motor spins very fast with the plug out, it will because the starter is not fighting the compression. With the plug out rest the plug on the head and then crank the engine over, check that you are getting a spark, if you are then great, if not you have an issue! Assuming that you do get a spark find an old plug and screw that into the head, have the second plug resting on the head whilst it is plugged into the HT lead, crank the engine in order to see whether you are still getting a spark. If you now don't get a spark the engine is not turning over fast enough to either generate enough voltage to power the CDI and/or it is not spinning fast enough for the trigger coil to trigger the CDI.

I don't know much about Lithium batteries, I had one fitted to my Speed triple 1050, I didn't like it so I went back to a 'normal' one. I bet the Lithium jobbies don't like boosters packs being attached to them, they don't like normal chargers.

Registered
Yes - they fit straight in. I have done this.

Did you buy a genuine ktm starter motor? The cheaper aftermarket ones are rubbish (yes, been there)

Battery - YTZ7S. Must have.

For this system to work it needs to be fed with parts every so often. My bike is 300 odd hrs and everything has been renewed once (bushes twice). Wet keeps it all lubed.

Administrator
The starters are shit and very rarely work. Everyone has the theory on how to make them work but they are a flawed design and dont work. I tried all the mods on mine and none worked. Either use the kick start or buy different bike.

Registered
Agreed that the design is flawed - although it was intended merely to be a 'restarter' after initial cold kick kick start - so it is fragile. Saying that, mine works, but it is renewed.

Registered
It is a shit design but it can be made to work, my bike will start from cold on the electric boot, 410w motor, wet mod, and larger battery all make a difference.

Registered
My 2011 250xc is a good starter.
I've done the following.
Freeride Bendix and gear.
New bushes in engine cases - replace each year or more often if used a lot.
Set up the free play on the gear wheel. This is important as too tight and it will drag motor too slow and will not fire.
Likewise the gearwheel cover gasket has to be just right. Again it can press on gear too much and cause issues. Better gear has more play than too little.
Run in a separate earth wire to starter.
Wet mod. Plus I grease bushings and gearwheel.
Rings/bore/piston ok? As it gets old engine tends to not like elec start.
I found lithium batteries to be crap. Gone back to wet, much more reliable. Try jumping from car.
Ps. I used cheap ebay starter and it's ok for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys , is this the right bendix

And by this "Likewise the gearwheel cover gasket has to be just right " what exactly do you mean John ?

Registered
The little outer cover that reveals the gearwheel, it has a gasket. Too thick or thin it changes the foreplay on the gear. Gearwheel has to be shimed correctly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Shit , how the hell do you know which, to thick or to thin ?? and shiming the gear wheel !!!!! beginging to think i should have bought a Sherco !!!!

Registered
If you remove the starter motor, you can stick your finger in and spin the crown wheel. You can feel if the cover is too close and restricting the spin speed. Once you're happy with the gasket, replace the starter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Ok gear is nice and free moving with finger ....but I can't get over the fact that with the plug out the whole thing spi s up very good and smooth....but at least I got a pretty can guard

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
OK after pulling it apart to many time i found a vid saying go for the upgrade bendix kit
Old bendix 27t new 28t
old transfer gear 18t new 16t

found a kit in the USA
2016 Bendix and Crown Wheel Upgrade Kit for KTM, Husaberg, Husqvarna 200, 250, 300
$237.99 $201.99

Where can i get one in Europe , anyone know ?

Cheers Phil

Registered
You say that it spins over quickly but is the plug firing? If it is then put a second plug in the head whilst you have another plug in the HT lead so that it is resting on the head, then check if it still sparks.

Registered
The 'upgrade' is basically what is provided by the dealer now - they dont sell the pre 2015 parts anymore (or shouldnt - just ask for the post 2015 crownwheel and bendix) fwiw, l have always used the std cover gasket and it works fine. I cannot stress enough that all of the componant parts - starter crownwheel bendix battery and bushes need to be A1. I would recommend the wet mod / vent mod. Blocking up the oem lower vent prevents all of the gritty slop getting in the stator. I used araldite and std gasket, but l 'think' there is an alternative stator cover gasket that blocks the oem vent.

Registered
Any uk dealer will be able to provide these parts.
OK after pulling it apart to many time i found a vid saying go for the upgrade bendix kit
Old bendix 27t new 28t
old transfer gear 18t new 16t

found a kit in the USA
2016 Bendix and Crown Wheel Upgrade Kit for KTM, Husaberg, Husqvarna 200, 250, 300
$237.99 $201.99

Where can i get one in Europe , anyone know ?

Cheers Phil

1 - 20 of 38 Posts